FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Codec and Image Resolution Final Cut Express

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conchubhair Mac Lochlainn
Compression Codec and Image Resolution Final Cut Express
on May 24, 2011 at 10:23:38 am

Hi Guys,

I had a call the other day from a client who's using Final Cut Express to cut some of his stuff, primarily for the web, but he also wants to use it for DVD delivery.

Now I'm well aware that the programme has been crippled in just the right places to make the step up to Pro a necessity, but that's just not an option for this guy at this moment in time. So we have to make do...

The only problem is, he's a very talented cameraman and has shot some absolutely stunning stuff on a Canon XHA1 at full PAL HDV, and 50fps. The stuff looks great when being digitized, but the second FCE is opened to work with it, it degenerates and a lot of noise crops up in the background. I put this down to the system degrading the image just to work faster in Real Time. However, whenever I try to export a piece to show him, using QT settings, no matter what combination I try, it comes out with noise at the back. I've noticed that using ProRes442 as opposed to H264 helped a little, but still wasn't spectacular.

Has anybody got any suggestions on how to turn this around? Obviously as a pro native, the extra control would see it gone in seconds, but Express just doesn't seem to want to co-operate...

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Compression Codec and Image Resolution Final Cut Express
on May 28, 2011 at 8:58:01 am

Hi,
Whatever you put in FCE gets converted to DV or AIC.
Those are the only two codecs that FCE can manage on export.
Both are very compressed formats.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]