Which is faster...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Garriga
Which is faster...
on May 17, 2011 at 3:06:40 pm

For making m2v files via compressor?

Exporting Using Compressor through FCP?

Or Exporting a Same Source Quicktime or Using Conversion to Apple Pro Res and then compressing that file in compressor to make the m2v file?

These dvds I will be making are of raw footage shot on P2, so the dvd's will be maxed at a little less than 2 hours each and maybe some at an hour as well so I'd like to know the best way.

I will be doing it on 3 machines as the client needs it asap. A dual core Power PC, A quad Power PC, and an 8 Core Intel machine.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Which is faster...
on May 17, 2011 at 3:33:43 pm

Exporting QuickTime Movie in current settings and taking that to Compressor. Even allowing for exporting a self-contained file, in my testing, it was substantially faster than sharing to Compressor, with no discernible difference in quality.

All the best,

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Daniel Garriga
on May 17, 2011 at 4:16:14 pm

Yeah thats what I figured. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on May 18, 2011 at 3:22:47 pm

It's faster because there's no FCP/Compressor "conversation". It also means that any graphics, generators etc (which would be handled as if they were uncompressed) , are compressed twice - once in the timeline codec and once in compressor.

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved