FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert mv4 before import into FInal Cut Express 4, or?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Williams
Convert mv4 before import into FInal Cut Express 4, or?
on May 12, 2011 at 11:53:52 pm

I have a completed film that needs to be shortened for playback. The format I was given to start with is a .mv4 file with
- Dimension 1024x570
- Codecs H.264, AAC, Text;
- Color Profile SD (6-1-6) and
- total bit rate 1,659.
- Size 772MB

When trying to get started editing it with iMovie and FCE 4, a .mov file was created (I think by "auto-render in FCE) of it with the following:
- Dimension 1024x570,
- Codecs Apple intermediate codeec, LInear PCM
- Color Profile (Not available from "Get Info")
- total bit rate 21,980
- Size 10.21 GB

The shorter film will be played back from a laptop through a projector (in the US), where a laptop operator will pause the film periodically to allow for other events in the room to happen (while a frozen frame appears on the screen) and then continue it.

In another thread, the question was how to create subclips or otherwise edit the longer film down most efficiently, and the fact that the starting point was a .mv4 file caught the attention of one of the experienced folks here, so this new thread is to ask about the best conversion.

The other thread recommended using MPEG Streamclip to convert, and to re-import into a new project.

Should I convert the original mv4 to some other dimension than 1024x570? We can use whatever software we want to playback.

Kind Regards, Michael

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Convert mv4 before import into FInal Cut Express 4, or?
on May 13, 2011 at 2:37:13 am

That's a video standard format. That's square pixel standard definition PAL. FCE doesn't edit that. The only SD FCE handles is DV. Convert to QuickTime using the DV PAL codec and set options to 16:9. Edit in a DV PAL Anamorphic sequence.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on May 13, 2011 at 4:10:46 pm

I tried two different conversions using MPEG streamclip, the first was with settings of Apple JPG Photo with 1014x570, and the second using DV PAL with 16:9. I tried playing each back using Quicktime in full screen mode on a 1080i HDMI monitor.

The Apple JPG .mov file came out 28GB, total bit rate 61,010 Dimension 1014x570, the DV PAL half that, only14GB, while total bit rate was 30,211 and dimension 1014x570. The color profile on the DV PAL (from Get Info on the MAC) says PAL 5-1-6.

The Apple Photo conversion plays back with the oblong shaped window, has the images naturally shaped and fills the monitor, while the DV PAL plays back with square shaped window, has the images slightly taller and narrower, and does not fill the monitor, but has black regions on the left and right.

The Apple Photo conversion is slightly crisper on the fonts and subtitles, the DV PAL has a slightly blurrier appearance and is a bit squished.

So overall I prefer the Apple Photo conversion, but will FCE be able to edit with that?

Did I do the DV PAL conversion with MPEG Streamclip improperly, or do playback improperly ?

Kind Regards, Michael

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 13, 2011 at 6:08:54 pm

"but will FCE be able to edit with that?"

No.

"Did I do the DV PAL conversion with MPEG Streamclip improperly?"

Yes. You cannot simply pick a frame size to use. DV PAL is an exact and specific frame resolution. It is always 720x576 pixels. Always. Nothing else. Ever. If you need 16:9 media you click the Options button across from the Compressor and selected 16:9.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on May 14, 2011 at 9:25:41 am

Thanks for the guidance. I restarted MPEG Streamclip, going to Export and other formats-> DV PAL. As it is converting, it looks beautifully crisp and clear, but has changed the shape to be tall and thin. So once I load this into FCE, I will need a sequence that will convert it to the normal shape, is that the approach?

BTW, these conversions seem to take overnight for the hour of footage on an 8 core MAC PRO 2009. Does that seem about right, or should I be doing something to make better use of the multiple cores during conversions?

Also BTW when we say FCE won't edit the other formats, what are the errors it causes when trying to edit the formats?

Kind Regards, Michael

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on May 14, 2011 at 11:14:53 am

Tall and thin is correct. That's anamorphic video. In FCE make sure the anamorphic column is checked on for the clips and that you edit in a DV PAL Anamorphic sequence.

In the FCE easy setups you only see specific formats. FCE sequences can only be in these formats. Any other media placed in one if these sequences has to be rendered to conform to the sequence settings.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]