FORUMS: list search recent posts

Set up in FCP 7 and exporting questions..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Winn
Set up in FCP 7 and exporting questions..
on May 10, 2011 at 9:17:26 pm

Hi,
Been trying to get a few things straight lately, having talked to a friend and after a one to one session at an Apple retail store (virtually a complete waste of time) regarding sequence setup and exporting.

(Running a 8 core Mac Pro with 8gb ram for what that's worth.)

FOOTAGE: shooting HDSLR 24p with a Canon 7D and converting that to pro res.

QUESTIONS:
Setup - it was suggested I set the easy setup to pro res and say 'no' to any attempts by FCP to reset the sequence settings when dropping in a clip (not sure why it would ask that anyway if the footage is pro res on a pro res sequence setup)...is this the way to go? There are so many options, I just haven't been able to figure out what I should do considering the type of footage I'm bringing in.

Exporting - Again, there are so many options. My usage is for presentation on the weekends on a movie theatre screen (run thru a projector - this is not a film presentation). So, there's no web work or such. I've tried going H264 for file size reasons and that's worked some but at times has been pixelated. I've tried QT export but it results in enormous file sizes. I realize there might not be a basic answer(s) to this because of so many variables, but was hoping after explaining what I'm bringing in and what I'm showing the footage on, someone might have a general direction to always steer in.

Pro res conversion equalize source footage? - Lastly, if I had footage from the 7D at 24p and SD footage from another camera, and I converted it all to pro res, does that get both sources ready for the timeline or am I going to have to guess again when FCP asks to change the sequence to the clip?

Thank you for any assistance,
Sean

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Set up in FCP 7 and exporting questions..
on May 10, 2011 at 11:22:14 pm

I can give you advice for your set up...

First, bring in your footage via Log and Transfer. Make sure you are bringing it in as ProRes. Once you have your footage in your bin, it should be as simple as creating a new sequence and dropping that clip into the timeline. Click YES when Final Cut asks to match sequence settings. Your codec should be ProRes, square pixels and the frame rate should be what you shot it at.

I think you will find this video helpful: http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Cody Walters
JW Studio LLC
Houston Video Production
Houston Wedding Videos

Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 11, 2011 at 11:00:48 am

And as for your export:

What is the theater using for playback?

Export your finished video using "Current Settings"
Drop that file into compressor to make your deliverable.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on May 11, 2011 at 12:49:28 pm

Thanks guys for the input.

At the theater, I'm using Renewed Vision's ProPresenter, imo the best presentation software out there for our application. We run from that thru a scaler to the HD projector.

I will look into the export workflow you mentioned. I haven't learned compressor yet but plan to asap..

Thanks again,
S

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 11, 2011 at 1:01:08 pm

So, you're playing it off a computer then? Laptop or desktop.
Ya, H.264 would be fine.
Make a high quality H.264 mov file from your master.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on May 11, 2011 at 1:41:40 pm

Chris, when you say
Make a high quality H.264 mov file from your master.

Are you saying create the mov file directly from fcp or master out of fcp, then create a high quality mov file with something else?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on May 11, 2011 at 1:57:54 pm

When the edit is complete.
Export "Current Settings" Self contained. This is your digital master.

Take that file into a Compression software.
Create the file needed for playback.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Sean Winn
on May 11, 2011 at 2:27:18 pm

Thanks Chris..
S

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]