FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV Capture"dumbass mode" in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cian Daly
HDV Capture"dumbass mode" in FCP
on May 3, 2011 at 5:24:10 pm

I am a cameraperson by trade but have recently found myself sitting at an edit suite again. I'm capturing HDV 1080i50 material from various Sony cameras, namely the Z1U and HVR-A1E, via firewire 400. Sometimes I have problems with recognizing the deck when I have checked and double checked all audio/video capture settings, both in FCP 7 and on the cameras. However, when I use the easy setup option, Final Cut sees the deck, but only allows me to capture into what I call dumbass mode, where it asks for a tape name and then captures and automatically breaks up the tape into clips. How can I get back to the traditional log and capture window while working with HDV? I'd like to understand the concept of firewire more, specifically why it needs presets and why so many exist. Also, I hear many things about capturing to AIC or Prores rather than editing native in HDV. I'm sure there are ample threads on this already so if anyone could point me to some of the better ones or just give a brief (or lengthy) summation I would greatly appreciate it. My thanks to you in advance... Cian

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: HDV Capture"dumbass mode" in FCP
on May 3, 2011 at 6:37:17 pm

I am afraid this is your only option. HDV log and capture module is different as you noted from traditional one.

Free-lance fcp editor in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Cian Daly
on May 3, 2011 at 8:53:06 pm

What about if I am capturing to a different codec from a HDV camera or deck via firewire? Will this always be the way? Thanks

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on May 4, 2011 at 8:26:45 am

It's not codec that determines the outcome, it's the control device, in your case sony HDV firewire, that enables hdv log and capture module. If you have aja or blackmagic installed you might try use them to capture your material into codec other than hdv, ProRes for instance.

Free-lance fcp editor in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]