FORUMS: list search recent posts

DigiBeta, DVCAM, MiniDV etc for screening at Film Festival?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
krystallia sakellariou
DigiBeta, DVCAM, MiniDV etc for screening at Film Festival?
on Apr 30, 2011 at 12:34:05 pm

Hello everyone!

My clay animation project is ready:-) I have worked on a stop-motion animation project for the last 5-6 months, I have had many difficulties along the way, and have received many helpful comments from people on this as well as other forums. Now I would like to submit it to film festivals and have encountered another problem...
The submission copy that they require can usually be a DVD (which I was never happy with how the quality turned out on, but that´s not so urgent this time)
But when it comes to the screening copy, most festivals require something like a DigiBeta copy, or also DVCam or MiniDV. After reading a little bit on this, it seems like DigiBeta gives the best quality, but is also the most expensive format.

I have a newly bough macbook pro at home, with FCP 7on it (although I actually started my project in imovie and decided to complete it in the same program).

What would you recommend me to do next? Could I create a DigiBeta copy at home with my own equipment or would I need to go to a PostProduction company to help me do this?

And should I go via FCP in this process?

If somebody would like to give me some help on these formats and how to convert my imovie project in a screenable copy, I would very my appreciate it!

Thank you!

Lia

Return to posts index

Steven Gladstone
Re: DigiBeta, DVCAM, MiniDV etc for screening at Film Festival?
on Apr 30, 2011 at 1:27:48 pm

For Digibeta, DVcam, MiniDv

You will need a deck.

Mini DV will be the cheapest.

Last I looked Digibeta was in the tens of thousands to buy.

Probably best to go to a post house.

Best.

Steven Gladstone
http://www.gladstonefilms.com

Return to posts index

krystallia sakellariou
on Apr 30, 2011 at 1:30:59 pm

Ok, thank you for your reply!

All the best,

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 30, 2011 at 2:07:30 pm

You can render out a digital master. Take that file to a post house and output to Digibeta.

Alt. you can borrow a friends DV camera and lay out to tape from your laptop via firewire.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Apr 30, 2011 at 4:50:24 pm

The things that make the most difference to the look of your piece is the aquisition format - a cheap DV camera, or a Canon 5D - and the lighting.

Very few people can tell the difference between something shown from DigiBeta and something shown from DV. Master it initially on MiniDV usuing a borrowed camera, which will cost a few pence for the tape. If someone wants your film for a major festival and will only take Digi, copy it across or re-master it.

B

bernie

Return to posts index

krystallia sakellariou
on Apr 30, 2011 at 10:02:41 pm

Thank you Chris and Bernard for for your suggestions. As a matter of fact I used to have a miniDV camera, but I didn´t bring it with me when moving abroad. I never thought I would need it again since I have a digital video camera now. My miniDV camera is about 6 years old so I thought that it was getting useless now having a digital camera,so I learnt something new!
I will see if I can have it sent to where I live now.

I also wanted to ask you about rendering a master? Would that mean just creating a quicktime file, for example, compressed with as best quality as possible (h.264 I have heard it supposed to be very good) and that file is my digital master?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I haven´t worked so much with digital video before.

Thank you and have a good weekend!

Lia

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on May 2, 2011 at 4:04:09 pm

For your master, export in the format of your sequence, don't change anything. I don't know what format you've been editing in, but you should make a self contained Quicktime file with the current settings. If you change stuff, you'll lose quality which won't come back.

B

Return to posts index

krystallia sakellariou
on May 2, 2011 at 4:38:46 pm

Ok, thank you for your reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]