FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export seperate scenes from sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
emma rooney
Export seperate scenes from sequence
on Apr 29, 2011 at 11:01:00 am

Hi there

I need to export different scenes from a sequence. The scene numbers are in the sequence as a text layer. I have multiple audio and video tracks. Is there a way of marking the in and out points of each scene that i want and batch exporting them. I am able to do this for each individual clip however it is taking ages. Can Final Cut recognise seperate clips on one video track and export from their in and out points automatically?

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Export seperate scenes from sequence
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:35:29 pm

The answer to your question as you posed it is no. However, it sounds as though you're not simply exporting, but in fact you're encoding to a delivery codec directly from the timeline. Right? That's the problem...

Instead, you should export self contained QTs using Export>>QuickTime Movie, then use those to encode to your chosen delivery codec from Compressor, QT Player, or MPEG Streamclip.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

emma rooney
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:41:49 pm

Nope I am simply trying to output sections of an animatic movie to distrubute to different animators. At the moment I am in and out pointing each clip. It is very long and tedious. I essentially need final cut to recognise where the boundary of my scene number clips are(text track with scene number on it) and export these as movies. Or maybe add multiple in and out points to each scene and then batch export? We are pulling out hair out trying to come up with a work around for this

Cheers

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 29, 2011 at 4:02:26 pm

I'm not sure why exporting is so tedious for you? Exporting self contained files is very quick. Can you elaborate on where the tedium comes into play for you?

BTW, if you're not fully rendering before exporting that can add a lot of time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

emma rooney
on May 5, 2011 at 3:53:39 pm

Sorry thought I made it clear.Il try and explain a little better.
I am building animatic for animation . It comes to approx 10 mins. The project has multiple video and audio tracks. Usually there can be up to 200 scenes in the locked picture. At the moment we indicate scene numbers by a text layer above the edited panels and audio files. This locked animatic needs to get split into individual scenes to send away to overseas studios for animaation. So animators get to have a copy of the locked animatic and also a QT of just the individual scene they will be working on.At the moment as mentioned we need to go throught the locked animatic and manually place in and out points where one scnen begins and ends and exports this as a QT. Not only this but we also need a copy of a wav file for Maya. There can be up to 200 scenes so it takes a chunk of time to do. Along with naming each file with the frame count it contains. We have 52 episodes and i am trying to find a work around that can quicken up this stage.

Can final cut identify the boudaries/cuts of a single track ie the scene number track and export the sections of the timeline the lie therein?

Essentially we need in and out points along the project where the scenes begin and end and then do a batch export of these.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on May 5, 2011 at 4:15:16 pm

Hi Emma,

That's a tough one. Having each scene on it's own sequence would have set you up better for exporting out. There's no quick answer I believe...

If I understand correctly, If I Were You, I would add markers to each place were you need a edit point, export out a quicktime movie (with the makers), then in Compressor I would cut up the quicktime movie into all the segments you need. You'll still spend some time cutting it up in Compressor, but compressor will show you the markers in the preview, so it should be quick to edit each section. So in compressor you'll have 52 little jobs of the same movie, but each with different edit points.

FWIW,

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

emma rooney
on May 5, 2011 at 4:41:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, however i think this would be very messy and in the end not be any shorter. It is a doozey

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on May 5, 2011 at 4:56:06 pm

Hi Emma,

Yes, it's a doozie for sure. However using compressor should save you some time? You only have about 3 workflow choices, 1) mark in&outs directly in FCP and export one at a time, 2) Use compressor (in some variation), or 3) export out and use QuickTime Pro to cut individual scenes. Another choice would be to duplicate 52 individual sequences each with their own in&out points, but that can get pretty messy.

The one advantage with using Compressor is you can batch the entire rendering, otherwise you'll need to export out of FCP 52 different times and wait for each render. But you are correct, you probably going to spend the same amount of time preparing the edits, you'll just save yourself from coming back to FCP each time.

Either way, good luck,

Todd

Return to posts index

emma rooney
on May 5, 2011 at 5:04:12 pm

Thanks fop the advice. Have been pulling my hair out trying to come up with a way to do this. Do you know anything about http://www.scene-detector.com/. Any idea if this could help?

Cheers

Em

Return to posts index

Bryan Zee
on Jun 3, 2011 at 5:38:43 pm

Hi Again Emma,

I just posted saying I was in the same situation as you. I took in some of the other suggestions as well.

I may have a solution.

If you separate the clips in the timeline to be exported, you can, (using the In/Out markers), individually create subclips, which can be individually named, and batch exported.

I am seeing if this works at the moment. Might be worth your time.

Zee

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on May 13, 2011 at 12:30:55 am

Hi Emma,

Maybe you could export your scene text into a text file, edit the text file into a list of markers, then import that list of markers back in? Would that get closer to the goal?

Return to posts index

emma rooney
on May 17, 2011 at 10:42:45 am

I dont know. Can you batch convert between markers to have seperate files?

Return to posts index

emma rooney
on Apr 29, 2011 at 2:43:26 pm

Any thoughts on scene detector? have just come across it now

Return to posts index

Bryan Zee
on Jun 3, 2011 at 5:23:36 pm

Hi Emma,

I am looking for the answer to this also.

I want a simple way to cut the timeline into pieces, batch export, and go to bed. In the morning I can distribute the movies.

It seems like a basic function that has been left out of FCP. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]