FORUMS: list search recent posts

scaling video to avoid content outside title safe area?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gary mc closkey
scaling video to avoid content outside title safe area?
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:01:59 pm

Hi

I'm editing a 9 minute clip, source is MiniDV PAL anamorphic SD, destination will be PAL DVD. I'm using FCE4 as my editor, and am learning the highs and lows of iDVD7.1.1.1 as my authoring tool. I'm using the DV PAL 48k ana preset for the sequence. I've no access to FCP/FCS or any hardware converters (Kona etc).

As I'm new to both video creation as well as editing, alot of the footage is quite tightly shot. I've done up a sequence and rendered and burned to DVD. While it's not a deal-breaker, there's some detail in the at the edge of the footage not being displayed on CRT/LCD tvs, as it's outside the title safe area.

My first question is, is it advisable / good practice / a complete no-no to scale everything by 90% or so, so it all comes inside the title area? My method is to use the Scale function, under the Motion tab. Of course learning from experience, I won't shoot to tightly in the future, but the question is what do I do with this?

My second question is, is there a quick / easy way to apply the scaling to all the video clips in the sequence?

Last but not least, thanks to all the professionals who contribute their time and expertise - I've learned so much in the last few months.

regards,
Gary

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: scaling video to avoid content outside title safe area?
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:38:50 pm

[gary mc closkey] "is it advisable / good practice / a complete no-no to scale everything by 90% or so, so it all comes inside the title area?"
No other way. Try to do the best possible downscaling. Rendering in "High Precision" and setting "Render Motion Effects BEST" should help.

[gary mc closkey] "My second question is, is there a quick / easy way to apply the scaling to all the video clips in the sequence?"
Select and Nest (Alt-C) the footage that you want to downscale and do it all at once.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:41:57 pm

Sorry, just realize you have no those options in FCE.
rafael

Return to posts index

gary mc closkey
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:52:02 pm

Hi
thanks for taking the time to answer. And you're right, FCE doesn't have those options.

I've found another FCP answer though, which does work, for apply attributes across multiple clips:
* select the clip with the attributes needed (e.g. 90% scale)
* Edit menu / Copy
* manually select the clips which you want to apply the attrib to
* Edit menu / Paste Attributes
* window appears.
* select Basic Motion
* Apply.

Regards,
Gary

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Apr 27, 2011 at 4:20:45 am

[gary mc closkey] "My first question is, is it advisable / good practice / a complete no-no to scale everything by 90% or so, so it all comes inside the title area?"

I would NOT do it. NOt all TV's cut off the same amount around the edges so on some TV's that don't cut off much at all your viewer will see black around the edges.

And if you scale by 90% im betting MOST TVs will show a LOT of black around the edge.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 27, 2011 at 11:52:28 am

If anyone plays the DVD on a computer they will see even more black around the edges. But for Tv's - shrinking back your vid 10% wouldn't be that bad. Some might see a little blk around the edges.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 27, 2011 at 12:25:34 pm

Yeap.
No magic formula.
As you said, next time you have to frame better.
Using the cameras "Safe Area" you have always to allow some margin to make sure that won't be cropping in any TV.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]