FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence setup and export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Schend
Sequence setup and export
on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:12:53 pm

I'm currently learning FCP from the ground up and plan on doing it the right way, but I need to get a project out the door immediately. So I'm hoping someone can give me some quick help in the hopes that I'll learn a bit in the process.

I need to create some clips for uploading to YouTube/Vimeo.

My source files are all large AVI files. DV 720x480 (853x480), Millions 16-bit integer (Little Endian), Stereo, 48,000 kHz. FPS: 29.97. Data Rate: 30.31 Mbit/s.

I've got MPEG Streamclip ready to convert them to whatever i need. In fact, I've already done that once to get them into Apple Intermediate Codec to match my sequence in FCP. That works and it keeps me from having to render. But I can't get the aspect ratio of the sequence to match the source files. The resulting clips are getting letterboxed. When I adjust the sequence after the fact, it requires re-rendering. I want to start over but thought I'd get some thoughts first so I dont waste more time.

So, what's the best workflow/settings in this situation? I just want to output 16:9 clips in 720p for uploading to YT/Vimeo.

Thanks,

-r

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Sequence setup and export
on Apr 22, 2011 at 1:59:24 pm

[Ron Schend] ". DV 720x480 (853x480),"
This tells you the size to go for YouTube.
Your NTSC (Anamorphic pixels) picture is 720x480, but when is displayed in a computer (square pixels) with the proper aspect-ratio, the frame is made of 853x480 pixels.
You can set any other size, but you always needs to keep the 16x9 relation: W/16 = H/9
- 800 x 450
- 640 x 360
- 480 x 270
etc, etc..This must be like that for any 16x9 stuff to keep the aspect ration in any computer.
For 4x3 stuuf is the same but keeping W/H = 4/3
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ron Schend
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:13:20 pm

thanks for the reply.

i've managed to create a custom sequence setting that matches the resolution of my source files and so there's no re-rendering necessary. so i guess i've got that part down.

but aside from canvas size, what's the easiest format/codec to go with, given my final product? there's just so many options there and it's overwhelming.

is there any particular setting that's going to cut down on transcoding time when using the YouTube preset in FCP?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:10:23 pm

[Ron Schend] "I just want to output 16:9 clips in 720p for uploading to YT/Vimeo."
If your stuff is 720x480 and you go 1280x720, you have blow up the picture a lot. No good.

I don't know the YouTube presets, but think that YouTube will recompress your movie, so to keep quality, convenient to upload it with no too much compression.

You have to make a QT H264, Progressive (you must de-interlace). Set the size you want and "limit the data rate" (try something like 3.000Kbps). Set Key-frames: AUTO and "Multi Pass".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:40:17 pm

If you're in FCP7, just send to compressor and use the youtube preset there. All the MPEGstreamclip work? And AIC conversion? Not necessary (or necesarrily smart). You're adding layers of transcoding that aren't necessary.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Ron Schend
on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:10:33 pm

Well, before I was just on FC Express and couldn't choose just any sequence setting I wanted. So I was using MPEG Streamclip to make my source files match. But now, I guess I should always just set my sequence to match my source files and then export to YT using the preset?

Seems simple enough. Just wanted make sure there wasn't anything else I should do to make it even more painless.

thanks for the help,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]