FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you cut and paste video/audio in to specific layers on a timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Clark
How do you cut and paste video/audio in to specific layers on a timeline
on Apr 19, 2011 at 10:26:40 pm

I want to move some part of a sequence which is initially near the beginning to a point in the timeline where I think it will now be better suited as an overlay to serve as visuals for an interview. Consequently I want it to appear be in a layer above all the video layers currently used in that interview. The clips I've cut and intend to paste are all one layer themselves and I just want them to paste where they won't affect anything below them, as in they won't overwrite or displace anything, just sit in the video layers above.

This would also be very useful when cutting in parts of one sequence in to another. I tried locking all video layers except that which I want to paste in to but this simply resulted in the playhead moving forward the amount of time the pasted section of sequence should have taken had it pasted (but it didn't.) I also tried moving the buttons on the left of the timeline, moving 'v1' up to the layer where I want it to end up and it's still not happening.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: How do you cut and paste video/audio in to specific layers on a timeline
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:04:17 pm

Place the clips you want to copy in a new comp. Place them in the tracks you want them to land in when pasting.

Layer 3 & 4 for example.

They paste to the same tracks you copy from. SO, put in the same tracks and copy then select the destination sequence and paste.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Dan Monro
on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:47:56 am

Actually, you can force them onto whatever track you want by using the auto select buttons, as Tom says. You do have to select them every time you want to paste, however. So say you want the audio tracks you copied from 1&2 to go to 3&4, you first option click 3, say, and then click 4 and then paste and they go to 3&4. Same idea with the video...
D

Dan Monro
FCP, Avid, AfterFX, Atlanta
MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 4 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Final Cut Pro 7 Quicktime 7.6.6
- OR -
2 x 3.2 Quad Xeon; 16 GB ram
Mac OS X 10.6.4
NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 Final Cut Pro 7.0.2 Quicktime 7.6.6

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:36:47 pm

Use the autoselect buttons to control what tracks are being copied and what tracks they're being pasted to.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Apr 20, 2011 at 12:15:05 pm

I figured there was a more logical way to do this.
Thanks!

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]