FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Studio Install

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Grubisich
Final Cut Studio Install
on Apr 17, 2011 at 2:55:44 am

I have been working on a 90 min DVD project in FCE 3.5 for the past six months. Having come this far, I wanted to try to master the DVD myself, which meant purchasing the Final Cut Studio package for Compressor and Studio Pro 4. A couple questions about installing FC Studio:

The install requires 4 GB for the applications, and 46GB for the "optional content":
9GB for DVD Studio Pro content
7GB for Motion templates
22GB for audio content
8GB for LiveFonts

What does the optional content include, and is it necessary? Can the different components be selectively installed (e.g. Studio Pro content but not audio content)? I believe I can do everything I would ever want to do in FCE 3.5 and the Livetype program (except master a DVD :) And, perhaps most importantly, can the "optional content" be installed at a later date if not installed initially?

FCP 7 will open the FCE 3.5 file, no problems, right? guaranteed? Will the old FCE file still exist after opening in FCP 7? Will the old FCE program be left on the computer, or will the Final Cut Studio install delete it?

Thanks much in advance. Having spent several hundreds of hours on this project, I'm a little nervous about ugrading at this point.

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
Re: Final Cut Studio Install
on Apr 17, 2011 at 11:26:52 am

Hi there

You can choose during the installation which of the option content (if any) you would like to install. none of it is necessary for the general running of final cut but It sounds like 'DVD studio pro' would be a good tool for you if you're interested in creating professional DVD's. There are tick boxes next all of the programs and content during the install so you can select and deselect what you wish.

As for opening express files with the new studio 7 I'm not sure. It's not something I've tried but can't think of any reason why not. Final cut express can be installed on your computer as well as final cut studio though.

I currently run on the latest final cut studio and there's every chance you'll start using it as your main edit software instead of express. definitely worth the upgrade in this case.

Click to view my video production company or visit our company facebook page.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
Re: Final Cut Studio Install
on Apr 17, 2011 at 12:37:55 pm

Yes you can leave out as much of optional content as you wish. Consequences? In Motion, DVD Studio Pro, SoundTrack Pro you'll find no ready to use templates. Sometimes templates help to speed up things especially if you are a novice user. You can install this content later.
As to FCE-FCP issue I strongly suggest you to test it first. For example, you may try to open your project on different computer and see it for yourself. You're changing horses in the middle of the stream. If something happens you need to be able to bail out.
I believe FCE and FCP can live together without problems the same way you can have FCP 7 and FCP 7.0.3 installed. (They should have different names though.)

Everest Mokaeff
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]