FORUMS: list search recent posts

Batch Processing in Compressor - changing all settings at once

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Dean
Batch Processing in Compressor - changing all settings at once
on Apr 12, 2011 at 10:21:00 pm

Having a heck of a time figuring out how to simultaneously change all of the settings for a batch of clips in Compressor 3. I can drop the clips in - but no matter what I do they all take the settings that I usually use (Dolby Digital and MPEG-2 for DVD creation). In this instance I want to batch process a slew of MPEG-4 files, transcoding to ProRes422.

I tried using the Target>New Target with Setting - but that only added the ProRes setting to the other settings.

Can anyone set me straight on this? Thanks

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: Batch Processing in Compressor - changing all settings at once
on Apr 12, 2011 at 11:25:58 pm

Try highlighting each clip that needs the new setting, then drop the setting a clip. Setting should apply to each highlighted clip.

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:53:32 am

I've tried dropping the setting onto the clip - but it adds the new setting, doesn't get rid of the old setting. Seems like I should be able to drop the clips onto an empty batch without a setting being automatically assigned. Then - drop one setting onto all clips all at once.

Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks!

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 13, 2011 at 3:32:50 am

[Dennis Dean] "I've tried dropping the setting onto the clip - but it adds the new setting, doesn't get rid of the old setting."

Drop the new setting ONTO the old setting.

[Dennis Dean] "Seems like I should be able to drop the clips onto an empty batch without a setting being automatically assigned."

When I bring in new clip into compressor (ver. 3.5.3) there are no settings on it, the clip just say's "drag settings and destinations here". To apply the same setting to multiple clips, I highlight each of them and drop the setting to one clip and they all get it. Check Compressor>Preferences for the "Default Setting" option, mine is set as "none". Presumably, you have your preferred DVD Setting set as the default.

To do what you want, as things are now (bunch of clips with unwanted settings)- select all clips, control-click (right-click) and select "remove all targets". Then drop the new setting to one clip (while all the clips are still highlighted) and they will all get the new setting. If you need to apply a new destination to all clips as well, highlight the setting on each clip, right click and select "destination>xxxxx". This will apply to all.

or

Highlight all clips, remove all targets, add destination, highlight all settings, right-click one and choose "change setting" to change all the clips settings at once. But changing the Compressor>Preference>Default Setting, to "none" is probably the best way to go about it.

Return to posts index

Dennis Dean
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:20:07 pm

WoW ! Who would have thought of preferences (?) ! Not me - THANK YOU very much, David. I actually saved an extra step by setting the Pref to ProRes422 ! Worked like a charm.

Best, and thanks to everyone who helps make the Cow a success -

DD

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 13, 2011 at 4:33:31 pm

LOL Awesome! I'm glad to have helped.

Return to posts index