FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP / Color Workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Alessio
FCP / Color Workflow
on Apr 11, 2011 at 2:42:56 pm

Hi all, I am completely new to Apple Color and, in fact, video postproduction as a whole, so I am very low on knowledge. If I were to be color correcting a project on one computer while one person is editing with FCP on another computer, what would be the best way to do it? Should Color be the last step in postproduction, because once you render it in Color you can't change the clip's in and out points, or what? Or am I completely mixed up (which is just as likely)?

Basically, what should color/FCP workflow look like using two different computers for the editing and color correction?

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: FCP / Color Workflow
on Apr 12, 2011 at 2:20:24 am

Send to Color after you've completed all edits. Project should pretty much be done and all that is left is the Color grade. Your life will be a lot easier doing it this way.

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

http://www.codywaltersvideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 12, 2011 at 12:42:38 pm

Cody is correct. During editing you can use the 3-way color correction filters on the timeline. They will later be translated in Color automatically if want, or you can remove them before sending to Color if they are just temporary.

Lock picture before sending to Color or else you may encounter problems.Color has a "reconform" feature for accommodating changes made in the FCP timeline after a project has been opened in Color, bit it is imperfect at times, and can mess you up if things go badly.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Apr 12, 2011 at 11:36:55 pm

Take a look at this great tutorial by Walter: Preparing Your Sequences to go to FCP to Color

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]