FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Volume after burning DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Borba
Audio Volume after burning DVD
on Apr 7, 2011 at 1:26:53 am

I'm not sure this question belongs in "Final Cut Pro" forums or some other place, but anyway:

It's an AUDIO thing, since the VIDEO part all worked out.

> I used FCP7 to select 6 small clips from my original footage and I used Apply Normalization Gain on each of them so they would all be set to -12dB.

> Then, I exported each one of them, one by one, as 6 separate .mov files, using Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) NTSC as codec.

> I burned them all on a DVD as video using Toast Titanium 8, and when I watched it on TV one of the clips seemed to be louder than the other 5, even though on final cut they all reach max -12dB on the VU meters.

> So I went back to FCP7, and used Apply Normalization Gain one more time on the "louder" clip and set it to -16dB. Exported, listen comparing to the old one, and burned another DVD using the new file and the other 5 that were ok.

- It sounded the same as the first DVD.

> So i wen't back to FCP7 and this time I set all the other 5 clips to
-10dB. Re-exported all, compared to the 5 old ones, burned a 3rd DVD (this time using the -16dB version of the first file, and the -10dB version of the other 5, leaving a wider dB gap between them).

> Sounded just like the two first DVDs.

> I ended up using it like that cause I had no more time for tests before playing the DVD on a Workshop.

What is wrong?
Am I missing something on FCP7?
Is Toast Titanium 8 equalizing the audio tracks regardless off the volume I originally set for the clips on FCP7?
Is it possible that my TV is equalizing the audio tracks when I play the DVD?
Is there some other explanation?

I searched for this thread but no success.
Too many variables, that's why I'm not even sure this is a FCP question, but if someone could help me I would appreciate a lot.

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
Re: Audio Volume after burning DVD
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:09:29 pm

From you explanation it sounds like Toast is normalizing your audio. I personally haven't used Toast for burning DVDs. I just use DVD Studio Pro. I would check your settings in Toast...maybe there is a preference in there that is normalizing all audio to a certain level.

Sorry if this isn't help. Just my thoughts.

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

Gabriel Borba
Re: Audio Volume after burning DVD
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:14:34 pm

I looked for it on Toast.
There's a "Enable Dithering" option and I can choose between TAO or DAO methods of burning. But I doubt they have anything to do with that.

Well, I guess I could try it on DVDSP and see if it works better than Toast.

Thanks anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved