FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD Film to Digibeta

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Peister
HD Film to Digibeta
on Apr 5, 2011 at 12:45:28 am

My film has been edited on FCP v.7 using the Apple ProRezHQ codec. It's 23.98fps frame rate and it looks GREAT! The first festival can only show it on DVD or Digibeta (booo!). I plan to make an anamorphic version for output to Digibeta but want to know the best way. My thought was to export a quicktime reference of the film, have Compressor do the pullup to 29.98fps as well as the conversion to SD. Then I'd take that newly created SD file (stereo) back into FCP and dump it to digibeta. Or should I just dump the movie using the AJA Kona card installed in tower? It can do the downconvert/pullup as well on the fly. Thoughts? Thanks!

Geek/Nerd
Mac Pro 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB RAM, 3Gig internal Raid

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: HD Film to Digibeta
on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:02:55 am

[Darren Peister] "Or should I just dump the movie using the AJA Kona card installed in tower? It can do the downconvert/pullup as well on the fly. "
Yes.
This is the way to go. The Kona will do the best job.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:03:50 am

A DVD projected via a great digital projector can look awfully good.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:26:29 pm

Also - definitely check with the festival if they'll accept an anamorphic DigiBeta. They may not be able to stretch this with projection and your film will look way worse in 4x3. The DVD option might wind up being the better one if the aspect ratio is going to be an issue.

Return to posts index

Darren Peister
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:05:26 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. YES: we did check to make sure they can play the digitbeta and stretch it. But we also made BluRay discs and hope that they will project the movie that way as the frame rate would stay native along with the aspect ratio. Indeed the DVDs do look good but of course the BluRays look even better! Of geeky interest, when I tried to play out the movie to tape the computer gave me under run errors and stopped. I ended up having to run TechTool and defragging the media drive (took many hours!) but that did the trick. I guess the ProRezHQ data rate was quite taxing to the system- even though the external media drive was wired up via a SATA cable to the CPU. Thanks again.

Geek/Nerd
Mac Pro 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16 GB RAM, 3Gig internal Raid

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 8, 2011 at 7:18:19 pm

[Darren Peister] "run TechTool and defragging the media drive (took many hours!) "
Choose one of the sets without Defrag. Is not necessary in MacOX.
What is more important is File-B trees, Directories and File Finder Info.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]