FORUMS: list search recent posts

render & export strategies for works in progress

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
render & export strategies for works in progress
on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:23:22 am

I'm working remotely for a client, editing DVCPRO HD on FCP 6 and constantly sending small Quicktime screeners out (320x180) representing works in progress. Sometime I export to Compressor, but more often I want to export a fast Quicktime and compress the screener (mp4) on a 2nd Mac.

In this export process is there a way to tell or force FCP to do draft renders akin to what I see for RT playback in the Timeline... that will be more than satisfactory for these little Qt screeners?

With the way I'm working now I get the feeling that the system is doing fine HD renders (sometimes on static hi-rez stills & some moves on same) for what will be very small screeners. When I export a Qt to hand off to Compressor on another Mac, I'm using Export Quicktime Movie current settings (DVCPRO HD) thinking/hoping that this will be relatively fast as there is no transcoding. Bottom line both techniques (incl direct to Compressor) feel pretty slow, because I believe FCP is doing fine overkill renders. This adds up for the large number of screeners I have to make, which are often interim rough-cuts.

What the best work flow for this... export quicktime conversion and export small movies? I haven't clocked this but suspect it too would be slow. Again I wish I could fo draft renders on image files that are being resized or animating.

Thanks,

Paul

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: render & export strategies for works in progress
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:18:02 am

You may want to look into a device called the Turbo264HD from Elgato. It is a USB device that is a hardware encoder for h.264 files. Export from FCP using current settings, then bring that file into the Turbo264HD program and then enjoy faster encodes to a h264 file.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
Re: render & export strategies for works in progress
on Mar 31, 2011 at 11:58:42 am

from the FCP-L... "lower render quality,in the sequence settings, render control tab."
shoulda found this

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]