FORUMS: list search recent posts

stabilizing fcp vs imovie

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Kettlestrings
stabilizing fcp vs imovie
on Mar 28, 2011 at 6:51:29 pm

hello, i am graduating to fcp from imovie. I just put a nice project together and I stabilized all of the clips at once in fcp. I was all excited because I felt that I was really getting a handle on fcp and could leave imovie behind. My project is a sailboat shot from another boat and therefore quite unsteady. When I reviewed the footage in the fcp some of it was pretty good but but most was pretty wobbly and warped looking. I have been stabilizing in imovie dozens of similar movies with way better results and I am wondering if anyone can help a rookie out and let me know if I am doing something wrong. thanks very much. Jason

Return to posts index

Johnny Rice
Re: stabilizing fcp vs imovie
on Apr 5, 2011 at 10:50:31 am

I haven't stabilized in imovie, but have always had great results in FCP. If the footage is really shaky, it's best to dial down the settings very low and only gently smooth it out a little. Trying to stabilize footage that has a lot of large movements and motion blur is going to look strange irregardless of the program if you try and make it rock solid.

---------------------------------------
SmallHours.com :: One Long Crazy Summer Night
---------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Jason Kettlestrings
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:22:35 pm

Johnny and Cody, Thanks, most excellent, yup that got it done!

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:07:09 pm

By stabilizing I'm assuming you are using the smoothcam filter. I've had similar problems before. The smoothcam can tend to over compensate and make the clip very distorted looking. Try adjusting the translation smooth and rotaltion smooth down to make the clip less distorted looking

I've never stabilized anything in iMovie so it is interesting to hear that you are having better results there.

Another option could be trying the smoothcam in Motion. It may yield different results than Final Cut.

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Adobe CS5 Master Suite
Panasonic HVX-200
Canon 7D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]