FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with chapter markers skipping FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Smith
Problems with chapter markers skipping FCP7
on Mar 20, 2011 at 10:00:39 pm

I have made a clip with 14 chapter markers yet when playing back in iTunes, I go to skip to the next chapter marker it will miss some of the chapter markers. It is not always the same, sometimes it will skip two markers if it's 10 sec away from the next marker but if it's say, 40 seconds away from the next marker it might skip 3 or 4 markers. Another frustrating problem is if I go to skip back it will skip forwards or not allow me to to go back any further!

I have tried deleting all markers and inserting chapter markers again then exported and same problem!

Could anyone help me please?
Thank you :)

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Problems with chapter markers skipping FCP7
on Mar 22, 2011 at 10:24:02 pm

What format are you exporting out of FCP in? Or are you going through compressor?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 19, 2011 at 7:57:27 am

Hi Jeff, I'm still having this problem! I've tried exporting 2 different projects as Quicktime mov. I've tried exporting using different settings for the chapter markers such as "Chapter markers", "All markers" and "DVD studio pro"

Oh and I'm not using any compressors

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Your help and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:22:51 am

Mark,

You still need to respond to my original questions - I was going to try and recreate your problem(s) - but I can't with the information you've given.

It sounds like: You want to build a QuickTime file with chapter markers so you can skip material.

I asked: What format are you exporting out of FCP?
I know it's a QuickTime file; it sounds like your using "Export as QuickTime Movie" as opposed to "Export as QuickTime conversion" or "Send to compression.
Is this the workflow you're using? Since we can't see your computer, you need to be specific about what you're doing.

Here's what I did that worked.
I took a timeline, added five chapters, named each and marked each as a 'chapter marker'.
Exported Quicktime Movie, chose chapter markers, unchecked "Self containted" as I didn't want a huge file, merely a reference.
I opened this in QuickTime 7 and saw my chapters.
I could select the chapters from the popup menu and it would go to those chapters.

The buttons on screen are for Head/Rewind/Play/FF/Tail of QuickTime - not chapters; could this be what's confusing you?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:24:51 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response Jeff and sorry for not being specific. I am choosing "Export as QuickTime Movie" as opposed to "Export as QuickTime conversion" and then I am playing back using iTunes as I need a QuickTime file with chapter markers so I can skip material.

All chapter markers are there on the list. I'm using the keyboard shortcuts to skip to next chapter because the movies are for projections synced up with live music, which is why I need to skip to next chapter to change with the dynamics of the song in a live situation. I need keyboard shortcuts because I can't have a mouse cursor or any controls onscreen, I don't have two monitors and I can't work out a way to have just the video showing up on the projector and the controls on my laptop screen.

This should be simple but for some reason some chapters are being skipped with some error then I can't go back etc... as I've stated earlier.

So the QuickTime Movie codec is:
Motion JPEG A, Linear PCM, Timecode, Text

Some old files made by someone else which work fine are:
Kind: MPEG-4 Video File
Codecs: Text, H.264, AAC
These work fine but when I try to export as this type of file it doesn't have the chapters.

I'm really not sure what to do now, do you know what may be the problem?

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:25:28 pm

Thanks so much for the quick response Jeff and sorry for not being specific. I am choosing "Export as QuickTime Movie" as opposed to "Export as QuickTime conversion" and then I am playing back using iTunes as I need a QuickTime file with chapter markers so I can skip material.

All chapter markers are there on the list. I'm using the keyboard shortcuts to skip to next chapter because the movies are for projections synced up with live music, which is why I need to skip to next chapter to change with the dynamics of the song in a live situation. I need keyboard shortcuts because I can't have a mouse cursor or any controls onscreen, I don't have two monitors and I can't work out a way to have just the video showing up on the projector and the controls on my laptop screen.

This should be simple but for some reason some chapters are being skipped with some error then I can't go back etc... as I've stated earlier.

So the QuickTime Movie codec is:
Motion JPEG A, Linear PCM, Timecode, Text

Some old files made by someone else which work fine are:
Kind: MPEG-4 Video File
Codecs: Text, H.264, AAC
These work fine but when I try to export as this type of file it doesn't have the chapters.

I'm really not sure what to do now, do you know what may be the problem?

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 30, 2011 at 10:46:57 pm

Hey all, I'm still stuck on this problem and am hoping someone out there might be able help me or offer some advice

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Apr 30, 2011 at 10:48:33 pm

What player are you using that has keyboard shortcuts - QuickTime 7 player doesn't (as far as I can tell.)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Apr 30, 2011 at 11:26:51 pm

I'm using iTunes...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]