FORUMS: list search recent posts

* Hollowood's DVD Special Trick *

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marinus Denton
* Hollowood's DVD Special Trick *
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:14:52 am

This is a follow up on my previous post * Hollywood International DVD Standard - The Universal DVD - 16:9 & 4:3 *

So if I understand correct.

- Shoot 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Capture 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- Edit in FCP 16:9 (1920 x 1080)
- When your finished with the edit you say send to compressor.

So in Compressor then you select new target for setting.

Then what setting do you select and within the inspector what video or audio settings do you need to change?

Then in DVD Studio Pro if you go to preferences then General. What must your display mode be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows the whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it? And under preferences under the encoding tab what does the aspect ratio need to be in order to see this DVD in wide screen format on a 16:9 (1920 x 1080) screen and also if you enter the same DVD into a 4:3 system it shows whole frame in a letterbox with black bars above and at the bottom of it?

Is it the industry standard to export the video and sound separately from each other when importing it in DVD Studio pro or not, if it is, how do you do it in compressor, what target and inspector settings do you need to choose and set for the video and audio export separately?

Would you say Mpeg 2 is a great export video option since it's smaller then a Mov file? So from Compressor what target and inspector settings do you chose to export in the Mpeg 2 file format? Do you also have to export the mpeg 2 video separate from the audio, if so what will the audio target and inspector settings be. And in DVD Studio Pro how do you get it right to import Mpeg 2 export videos?

Reply ASAP

Thanks again

Marinus

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: * Hollowood's DVD Special Trick *
on Mar 8, 2011 at 2:20:08 pm

Marinus,

If I were to be taking my 16 x 9 HD work and wanting to get the best possible quality 4x3 output, I would be putting all the clips inside of a 4 x 3 standard definition timeline, and resizing and repositioning each frame by hand (possibly even doing some pan and scan work) to produce the best possible look on a shot by shot basis. Since this is a 4x3 sequence, handing it off to compressor would then pass a correct 4 x 3 standard definition MPEG-2 file to DVD studio pro

In the industry, it's standard to have a separate MPEG-2 video file separated for audio from audio for two reasons. One, the audio is often an AC3 file and two, it's quite common to have multiple audio tracks which will get multiplexed with any other programming, chapter marks, subtitles or alternate angles on the final DVD.

All DVDs are required to have MPEG-2 compliant VOB files. If you were to hand a QuickTime movie, DVD studio pro would automatically converted for output.

In compressor you'll see two types of general settings for MPEG-2 files for DVD Studio Pro – all of which have separate AC3 audio streams.
A faster compression– a one pass VBR MPEG-2 file. A better quality which is a two pass VBR compression.

The only other question is how much material are you trying to force the sit on a DVD. Total up the number of minutes of footage will have on the DVD, and pick the appropriate preset given to you by compressor.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:05:34 pm

I'm not sure why you keep posting this question since you've gotten the right answers multiple times.

In Compressor, you use the DVD preset (best quality 90 minutes will probably work fine for you). It's 2 presets. This gives you an .m2v and .ac3. M2V is mpeg 2 (video only), ac3 is audio only. You don't really need to change any of the settings unless you really know what you're doing. You drag these into a track in DVDSP. There isn't really any other proper option for making files for a DVD - it's not a matter of better or smaller, it's just that DVDs ONLY want this format. In DVDSP, if you import any other kind of media, you'll notice the dot next to the file is red or yellow. They should be green.

If you have a 16:9 file, choose 16:9 in DVD Studio Pro. DVDSP takes care of the flags within the DVD instructions to tell a DVD player what's going on. The DVD player will adjust the display to letterbox or not as necessary.

That's it.

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 8, 2011 at 5:09:48 pm

[Jeff]

If I were to be taking my 16 x 9 HD work and wanting to get the best possible quality 4x3 output, I would be putting all the clips inside of a 4 x 3 standard definition timeline

Sorry, but I disagree. I think FCP does a terrible job of working with HD footage in an SD timeline. FCP adds stair stepping to lots of HD clips in an SD timeline. I think compressor does a fantastic job of converting HD clips to SD. At least that is how I see it.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]