FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP is adding around 2minutes of black to my Quicktime exports

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amber Sexton
FCP is adding around 2minutes of black to my Quicktime exports
on Mar 6, 2011 at 2:48:38 am

I'm new to FCP, I took a four week class and I'm trying to edit flip cam video before I get a DSLR (I am a still photographer and shoot with 5D already that's not video enabled)

Anyway, I've really been having trouble exporting quicktime movies. I was able to edit directly from the flip camera video, but when exporting it would always add two minutes of black at the end. Then I read some of these posts and I went and downloaded MPEG Stream clip and converted the files to Pro res 444 and re-edited this incredibly short sequence. Unfortunately on export it's still adding two minutes of black at the end. I'm exporting as h.264, 29.97 timebase, audio 44.1

I've googled around and seen a few people post this problem, (though they did not indicate what source video they had used) but no one ever has a solution.

Amber

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
Re: FCP is adding around 2minutes of black to my Quicktime exports
on Mar 6, 2011 at 6:11:51 am

ProRes 444???? That might be a bit unnecessary for your Flipcam footage Amber, ProRes 422 LT might be a better choice ... but the particular ProRes codec choice for your source should not be the problem here. Can you double check your sequence, put the playhead at the start and then press the "end" key (or choose Mark menu > Go To > End) ... is your playhead where you expect it to be? If not then it could be that you've a stray frame 2 minutes past the intended end of your sequence. Stranger things have happened, and its worth looking. Failing that, please post back with complete details (screenshots?) of your source footage format properties (select a clip and press Cmd-9), and similarly for your sequence settings (press Cmd Zero).

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Amber Sexton
on Mar 6, 2011 at 7:37:15 pm

No there is not a stray frame. I've checked that before as others have suggested it as the problem. When I go to Mark>Goto>End it goes to 2:50 this is a very short video.

Also I'm not exporting with compressor since this is just a small clip. So that's not the problem. I'm going to make screen grabs and post those.

Return to posts index

Lars Martin
on Mar 6, 2011 at 12:37:43 pm

Do you export to Compressor? It has a setting to add fade in/fade out. Sure this is not it but...!

Return to posts index

Amber Sexton
on Mar 6, 2011 at 9:23:52 pm

Good question but in this case I'm not exporting to Compressor.

Return to posts index

Amber Sexton
on Mar 6, 2011 at 8:36:17 pm

Here are attached screen grabs

Return to posts index

Mia Petry
on Oct 30, 2014 at 8:46:53 am

I just wanted to add somewhat of a solution to this problem.

I was working with 50fps files and transporting to 25fps which created a video that was exactly twice as long with half of it just black space. I searched the internet but found no solutions.

Since a 25fps sequence session export would create a jittery video (I was working slow mo), I instead tried trimming in Mpeg converter which resulted in low quality files.

However, what worked was: opening up FCP 7, launching a new project, importing the double length video and cutting it to the desired end point (in my case half). The sequence it was on was then a perfect 25fps matching the source video of 25fps. I was then able to export it at the right length without loss of quality or jitter.
Hope that helps someone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]