FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Workflow suggestions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dante Sitole
FCP Workflow suggestions
on Mar 3, 2011 at 1:06:18 pm

I’m editing a short film that was shot on 1080i HD. My iMac has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, with 2 GB of ram. I’m using FCP 7. I’m also storing all footage on a shared server which slows editing down considerably, and the iMac itself doesn’t have a lot of free space. I also have a limited amount of time within which to work – roughly 5 hours to cut the final edit. The final product is for SD DVD, projected onto a big wall. Can you give any workflow suggestions? I’ve heard of MPEG Streamclip but not sure how it can help.
Thank u
Dante

Return to posts index

John VonMutius
Re: FCP Workflow suggestions
on Mar 3, 2011 at 3:45:10 pm

5 hours from when you posted this? That's ridiculous. Best suggestions I can give are: Work in a SD sequence and set your playback quality to low and your playback frame rate to half or quarter. That should help you edit faster, but there's nothing you can do to keep the machine from reading the full HD files from a slow server. By the time you make low-res proxies to work faster, you'd be out of working time.

---
Exploring the pitfalls of the 5D workflow. The many, many pitfalls...

Return to posts index

Dante Sitole
Re: FCP Workflow suggestions
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:23:49 pm

thank you john. I'm not sure if i was clear I will five hours to edit the footage. Could you please recommend another workflow system other than MPEG stream clip, and the advantages or disadvantages of other ones. Also would it help if i got an iMac with more ram. Can you also help me understand how to convert the footage from HD to SD to edit on Final Cut Pro 7.

Thank u

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]