FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a specific transition in fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Wisniewski
Making a specific transition in fcp
on Mar 1, 2011 at 5:56:32 am

The biggest problem i have is trying to explain this question... I want to find out, how do u create a transition from one clip to another, using an object to cut between the two.
for example, at the end of a shot, someone walks past the camera and the shot changes behind him with out a visible editing transition or cut. ie. the subject that crosses the screen is the transition.
Or, as the camera tracks past an object which covers the screen, the shot on one side of the object changes into the next shot on the otherside.
Hope this makes sense

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Making a specific transition in fcp
on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:59:26 pm

Makes sense.
You want to use a person or object as a wipe to show another layer when passing.
Let think of a truck passing from left to right of the screen;
You need that the picture behind the truck (left side) to be transparent so will show the underlaying picture when the truck is passing.

That is done by masking and rotoscoping.
FC is not the best tool to get this done.
Motion or AfterEffects are better options.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Mar 1, 2011 at 1:59:12 pm

If the shape is reasonably simple you could animate a mask using the eight point garbage matte (put one shot on video layer 1 and the other shot on video layer 2 for the duration of the effect and keyframe the points). Sort of like Avid's animatte, a bit, ...ish. But it would be better to do it in Motion.

Return to posts index

Rob Wisniewski
on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:00:40 am

Ok sweet, i understand what you'r saying but I don't know those controls / actions in fcp. I only have fcp available to me and Im still sort of learing. How exactly would I do this "masking and rotoscoping"??
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 2, 2011 at 3:43:23 pm

Place the clip you want to reveal in track one. Then place the clip that you are going to roto scope...lets say it is a clip of a diesel truck driving by above the clip in track 1. Select the clip in track 2 by double clicking on it and go up to Effects, video filters, matte and then choose Eight Point Garbage Matte. In the Viewer click on the Filters tab. Click on the plus symbol in a circle button. Then in the Canvas click and hold down the left mouse button. Move the mouse to where you want the point to be. Move all eight points to where you want them. (I typically do this mask where I see all of the sides of the truck I need...if the truck is so tight that all you need to do is have just a line aka two points move then use the "Four Point Garbage matte.") Then click on the diamond in the circle button for each point. That creates a keyframe. Then move to where the truck almost leaves frame and then move the necessary points around. FCP will automatically create new keyframes. That is how to do it in a nutshell. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Mar 1, 2011 at 1:50:57 pm

It'll cost you but the idustrial revolution Superwipe does this. Has a few cool presets and then an imagewell that lets you use anything as the wipe.

Think you need the free Noise Industries FX factory to install it.

Nigel

Nigel Beaumont

Mac Pro Quad 3.0Ghz 10GB FCS 3 OSX 10.6.6, Aja IO, some black cables, shiny firewire drives

"Ofcourse it'll be finished in time for tx"

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 1, 2011 at 4:26:38 pm

[Nigel Beaumont] "It'll cost you but the idustrial revolution Superwipe does this. Has a few cool presets and then an imagewell that lets you use anything as the wipe."
I think what Robert intends to do is using something that cross in front the camera, not a graphic.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Mar 1, 2011 at 11:21:28 pm

I agree with Rafael...Motion will save you a lot of time and would be worth it to do it in that App.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]