FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export 16:9 issues!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Thiessen
Export 16:9 issues!
on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:09:20 pm

I am taking 4:3 footage and changing it to 16:9 and editing it then exporting it.
I have been trying to tweak my Sequence Settings to get the best aspect ratio but my videos have been crazy sizes. Some are squished some are stretched. Some say 720x480(853x480).

I am reading a tonne of manuals right now, but some lamens terms could help me out a lot!

What sequence settings/output would do this best for me? I want a SD 16:9 H.264 video.

Joel

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: Export 16:9 issues!
on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:42:19 pm

Make an anamorphic DV sequence. Edit your material into it. The 4:3 material will be pillarboxed. If you want it to fill the screen you'll have to scale it up. This will soften the image.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Joel Thiessen
on Feb 21, 2011 at 7:54:54 pm

So using NTSC DV 3:2, CCIR 601 and Anamorphic sequence setting.
By pillarboxed do you mean having black vertical bars on the left and right?
Will this export as 720x480?

Thanks for the reply!!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:12:41 pm

Black on left and right, correct.

This will export 720x480 anamorphic. If you want it for the web you export 853x480 or some other 16:9 setting.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Joel Thiessen
more info
on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:47:57 am

Okay...
My sequence settings are as follows:
720x480 NTSC DV (3:2)
NTSC - CCIR 601
Anamorphic Checked

Top: Straight export from my time line using Export > Quicktime Movie
Bottom Left: Export using Export> Quicktime Conversion with the size set to NTSC 720x480 4:3 (ignore my poor titling in the image.)
Bottomr Right: Export using Export> Quicktime Conversion with the size set to NTSC 720x480 16:9

Which one is right? I've been asked for a 720x480 w/ square pixels. Is 720x480 considered 16:9?

I'm simply really confused, I've been doing this for a few years using my panasonic HPX-170 i've never had this much trouble before. Maybe because the source video I am getting is 640x480.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: more info
on Feb 22, 2011 at 2:41:03 am

DV NTSC is 720x480 always. Period. Doesn't matter if it's 4:3 or 16:9. It's always 720x480. Anamorphic means the 16:9 image is squeezed into the 720x480 frame. If you look at the raw 720x480 frame it looks squeezed, because it is. It is designed to be played back stretched out to 16:9. All this is explained in far greater detail on wiki or other sources of basic information about video formats.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Joel Thiessen
on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:51:52 am

Also, why is the video exported using Export>Quicktime Movie (left) not matching what is in my FCP viewer?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: How many files are inside one bin
on Feb 22, 2011 at 2:44:12 am

This is a correction. The image on the left is the QT Movie export. This is the raw image in 720x480. Open it in the QT7 player. Go to movie properties Cmd-J and set the aperture to clean I think it is. This will show you the video in 16:9. But you don't have to do that. You take the exported QT Movie into Compressor and make your H.264 square pixel widescreen image for the web there. Either that or you export to QuickTime Conversion and set the frame size there.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Elias Gwinn
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:42:21 am

Tom,

I've followed your instructions, and set up a NTSC DV (3:2) 720x480 Anamorphic sequence for editing 640x480 footage (allowing for black bars on the sides). It seems to have properly set the canvas to fit the footage w/o re-sizing (again, w/ the black bars).

But the problem I'm having is this: it's constantly making me render 'raw' clips (w/ no effects/scaling/stretching), whereas I never had to render these raw clips when the sequence was set (automatically) to the footage's native resolution (i.e., 4:3 w/ no black spaces on the side).

The footage I'm using has been converted to Apple ProRes422.

The delivered format will be 16:9 H.264 (for the web), w/o the 4:3 footage stretched (keeping the black bars on the sides).

I've also tried this sequence setting: 'Custom' 853x480
This setting also seemed to be right (black bars, no stretching or scaling), except that I still had to render raw clips.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Elias Gwinn
on Nov 19, 2012 at 7:01:56 am

Error in my previous post: my 'raw' footage is 720x480, not 630x480

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 19, 2012 at 1:14:39 pm

You will always have to render this because your clips don't match your sequence. No way around that. Sonething has to create the black bars. Switch your sequence to Unlimited RT in the RT popup.

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
"Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand

Return to posts index

Elias Gwinn
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:43:31 am

Tom,

Thanks for your replies and your knowledge!

I've exported the anomorphic sequence, and the 16:9 image is squeezed into a 720x480 frame (as you mentioned and as the other user experienced). I then converted that to 853x480 H.264 (using MPEG Streamclip).

The result is the video is stretched up a little bit, and some information is cut off from the top (see the attached image).

Am I doing something wrong?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:02:11 am

Don't know what's happening there.

All the best,

Tom

"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press
"Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]