FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and pro res

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Watkins
FCP and pro res
on Feb 21, 2011 at 1:21:57 pm

hi

I have number of students using some macs with final cut pro studio2.

They generally have a number of different cameras using both SD and HD. Also some cheapo SDcard cameras ( praktica 10.1 HDMI) that save video as a distribution format.

I currently try and match an easy setup to the type of camera they have, this can work well, but with more and more consumer cameras being used, it's not just as easy.

I use Mpegstreamclip to convert which is fine.

My question is: Can I use a 'one size fits all' approach and try Apple pro res? Will this automatically convert compressed footage into a more editable format, whether SD or HD?

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: FCP and pro res
on Feb 21, 2011 at 2:03:43 pm

I would say Yes. Convert all to proRes. This will make it easy for you and the comps.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:13:09 pm

Yes, go with Pro Res, some formats..for example, the Canon T2i shoots on H.264 and if you import that directly into FCP without converting it into ProRess it will keep crashing FCP. You can mix formats. Also, I find it is easiest to just drag the clip I'm working with into the timeline and let FCP figure out what my sequence settings should be, and when it ask to change the sequence I click ok.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Alan Watkins
on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:09:48 pm

many thanks for that. Pro Res will hopefully be a good setup for the SD tape cameras and Sony HDV HD cam that we have. It should convert the footage from the other cameras too. I will give it a try

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]