FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making a 16:9 still

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard Frankford
Making a 16:9 still
on Feb 17, 2011 at 2:28:38 pm

How do you make a still image (.jpg, e.g.) from an HD 16:9 sequence and have the jpg come out 16:9? When I go to Quicktime Conversion and select Still image, it squeezes it down. Thanks.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: Making a 16:9 still
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:20:51 pm

How are you viewing the still after export?
I've not seen this happen. It should export the size of your vid.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:30:01 pm

I'm simply double-clicking on it to open and it appears squeezed.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:39:07 pm

I think Chris waned to know in what application you're looking at it. When you double click it what application opens?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:51:35 pm

It's an Apple viewer called Preview. Same distortion when I bring it into Photoshop. Looks normal when I resize it to 960X560.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:25:02 pm

Depends on the HD format. Some are 1440x1080 and there are other anamorphic variations. Open the exported file in Photoshop and change the image size to whatever the display size of your HD media is. Can't tell you without specifics on the sequence or media.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:48:59 pm

The video was shot 720 24p. The sequence setting is HD 960X720 (16:9). But 960X720 is actually 4:3. When I bring it into Photoshop I resized it to 960X560 and it looks like normal HD.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 17, 2011 at 3:59:13 pm

That's wrong. 960x720 is DVCPRO HD anamorphic. I think they're the only one's that use this form. The material is anamorphic and is designed to be expanded horizontally not crushed vertically. The correct way is to convert the media to 1280x720. That's the display size.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Leonard Frankford
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:06:40 pm

Those dimensions are perfect for resizing in Photoshop. Thanks.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:42:17 pm

One way I do it is to open the clip in QuickTime, hit control-option-4 and drag the crosshairs to select the inside of the player...your video...and it saves your screen as a .png on your desktop. I'm using my iPhone right now so I'm not exactly sure that's the right combo for that screen shot option but I think that's right.

Tony Brittan

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 18, 2011 at 12:45:55 pm

Cmd-Opt-4.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]