FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow suggestions for multiple editors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Wescott
Workflow suggestions for multiple editors
on Aug 30, 2012 at 1:14:03 pm

I'm a member of a student organization (at the University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee) that makes short films. We're trying to facilitate learning in addition to creating a great final product.

So, when we shoot a film we encourage everybody to obtain the footage in the club and spend time playing with it. With so many editors (many with very little technical experience) it's hard to keep all the projects organized as well as additional resources added like foley or music.

Can anybody point me to a good resource or make suggestions on how to coordinate post production with so many individuals working on it? Specifically some sort of revision control for sequences/project files as well as asset management.

Also, our first film was shot on the RED ONE and EPIC. Our second will most likely be entirely on the EPIC. So most students can't work with the RAW footage anyway because of space concerns and not fast enough machines. So, we also need to deal with proxy footage as well.

I'd like to develop a workflow specific to our needs but flexible enough to allow the less tech savvy students to keep things organized and contribute. I also want to create a method where students can review each others work easily.

We intend to create a central place where all FCP projects and/or sequence XML files are stored. But, if you don't have additional assets you will have offline files. Is there any method for pushing/pulling new sequences (including new assets) to a central server almost like a git/svn?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Workflow suggestions for multiple editors
on Aug 31, 2012 at 3:34:41 pm

Eric, I know you're just a student organization, but sounds like you're well established and have some funds. You might want to look into an Apple Value Added Reseller or some sort of company that consults on workflows and shared storage environments. The knowledge you seek just seems to be a bit beyond the COW, but that's IMO. You can punch in your zip here and find a company that can help you out:

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 1, 2012 at 11:40:26 am

Post in the Final Cut Forum.
This is not a question for the "Basic forum".

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Sep 2, 2012 at 12:44:04 am

I had a tutorial DVD that covered this, but since FCP 7 is DOA, we don't sell it anymore.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved