FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic XDCAM EX setup

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen de Vere
Basic XDCAM EX setup
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:16:27 pm

Can anyone point me to a summary of the last 3 FCP versions, their problems/faults and the camera footage/format supported ?

I've just bought a Sony EX3 for a new very low budget 60' project (and will probably upgrade it with a Nanoflash once I'm sure the camera is right for the job) and am wondering what the minimum spec is that I need to edit and finish it to a ProRes master.

There will be almost no effects work except basic colour ocrrection and simple titles and I've got no tight deadlines or clients asking for other formats to please. I don't need to playout to a tape master - it's primary end use is to VOD, Glass-master DVD and BluRay.

Something like FCP6 with a 2xG5 and MXO2 might be a good match ?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
Re: Basic XDCAM EX setup
on Feb 14, 2011 at 6:51:21 pm

"Something like FCP6 with a 2xG5 and MXO2 might be a good match?"

You can use ProRes on G5s, but it is much better on an Intel Mac. FCP6 is capable of handling XDCam, though. You'll need to download the XDCam Log & Transfer software before you begin. The MXO2 is a good option as well, in my opinion.

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
command-r.tumblr.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:29:31 pm

I'm cringing. I get a low budget concept. Why do all this to not spend about $1-2k more?
Basic CC? Sure, FCP 5 hasn't really changed, if you're not going to use color
XDCAM? Good in FCP6, a bit stronger in FCP7.
DVD glass master? Sure DVDSP will be fine; you'll still need DVDAfter edit.
And FCS isn't going to make a glass master for blu ray either; you'll need DVDafter edit's Blu ray cousin for that.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Stephen de Vere
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:14:02 pm

Useful thoughts and info guys - thank you.

So it's only FCP 7 that needs an Intel ?

I guess because I'm first and foremost a cameraman I find it easier to spend the cash on the acquisition side of things and that's also where the majority of the labour goes (wildlife).

Still would love to find a resource list of all the things that are broken in FCS before buying. I wasted so much time with FCP4.5 like not knowing that several of the filters were only 8-bit and I was running a 10-bit UC timeline - I really want it to go better this time.

Come to think of it, as I'm only likely to use Color out of the whole suite I should look at Vegas or Edius too.

Return to posts index

Stephen de Vere
on Mar 29, 2011 at 4:03:13 pm

Waiting for news at NAB about Final Cut Pro before deciding on NLE gear but until then I cannot even view footage stored on SATA drives properly on my PC. All I can do to get smooth playback is play media off SxS in camera via SDI (SD) to my SDI Sony CRT.

My PC technically appears to exceed the minimum required posted by Sony for their ClipBrowser software but I cannot get smooth playback at any view size (I need 1:1 pixel). Could anyone suggest where the issue is please ?

Intel Pentium 4, 3.00 GHz, 2GB RAM
Intel(R) Integrated Graphics 128MB
1920x1080 Dell 23" LCD computer display (max 60Hz at that res)

I have tried playback with ClipBrowser from the camera cards (USB 2.0), the internal system 7200k SATA drive and an external USB 2.0 7200k SATA. All produce jerky playback.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stephen de Vere
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:11:40 pm

Jeff,
Has the fullscreen jerky playback problem in FCP7 been fixed now ?
(Folks were fixing it by manually installing an older Quicktine component.)

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Mar 30, 2011 at 11:25:47 am

I hadn't seen this problem - I've been on the latest (or one year out) intels + video cards though...

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]