FORUMS: list search recent posts

monitors for color correcting on FCP 7 HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Faraji Mazo
monitors for color correcting on FCP 7 HD
on Feb 11, 2011 at 6:18:54 pm

Can anyone recommend the best external monitor to hook up to my mac book pro, im using it for the purpose of color correcting on FCP .

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: monitors for color correcting on FCP 7 HD
on Feb 11, 2011 at 9:42:56 pm

[Faraji Mazo] "Can anyone recommend the best external monitor to hook up to my mac book pro, im using it for the purpose of color correcting on FCP ."

The "best" external monitors for color correcting cannot be connected to a MacBook Pro. They require connections not available on a MacBook Pro. They need to be connected to something like a AJA Kona Card on a Mac Pro.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2011 at 10:54:30 pm

[Zane Barker] "The "best" external monitors for color correcting cannot be connected to a MacBook Pro. They require connections not available on a MacBook Pro. "

Well, not ENTIRELY true. Some MacBook Pro's...the 17" models, and earlier 15" models...have Express34 connections. If your MacBook Pro has that, and NOT an SD card slot, then you can use a device to go between your computer and HD monitor. The options are Matrox MXO2, MXO2 LE, MXO2 Mini and the AJA IO Express. You can use the AJA IO HD, but it doesn't work with Color in HD.

Now...as for the monitor...what's your budget? For $2500 you can get the Flanders Scientific 1760W....great monitor. If your budget is LESS, then your choices won't be the in the "best" category, but rather the "might do a decent job" category.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

gerald ruppen
on Feb 11, 2011 at 11:40:08 pm

Hello guys Im a cow from Switzerland. Ive finished my first short about 12 minutes. Now Im very concerned about my color grading. After long hesitation. I purchased a mxo2 le with sdi.
Now I dont know which monitor I should buy. I ve read many nights in forums like this (its the really best of all), but I dont understand every technical detail so I need advice from the pro s.

Footage: DvcproHD 1080i25p

TV Logic LVM-240W (G) used 3.8k

JVC DT-V24L3 used 3.5k

FSI LM-1770W I like the 12 different Scopes 2.8k

BON BPM-170LS I dont find opinions or threats in the net of this monitors 2.9k

My budget is about 3.5k max 4k. I need a reference to match the color of the footage. We shot on different days....

Thanks for ADVICE

keine ahnung

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:09:53 am

I love the FSI monitors. After that, JVC.

Shane

Return to posts index

gerald ruppen
on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:29:19 am

I concern about the resolution the fsi has 1366x768. And my footage is 1440x1080. Does it make a big deal?
Is it hard to calibrate them??
Or can I use the Mxo2 calibration tool for that reason???

keine ahnung

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 12, 2011 at 12:35:41 am

[gerald ruppen] "I concern about the resolution the fsi has 1366x768. And my footage is 1440x1080. Does it make a big deal?"

1:1 pixel monitoring is not essential. It looks just fine at that resolution. If you want bigger, get the 24" model. But the 17" does just fine. No distortion, no breakup.

[gerald ruppen] "s it hard to calibrate them??"

They come pre-calibrated...but if you want them done right, you need to bring in a professional with a scope and pay them to do it. HIGHLY technical.

But since it has a BLUE ONLY option, you can do basic calibration on your end using simple techniques.

[gerald ruppen] "Or can I use the Mxo2 calibration tool for that reason???"

Nope. That tool is only available when connecting via HDMI, and it is currently not functioning properly. it was designed for DVI connections, and ported to HDMI, and a fatal flaw was discovered...so it is unreliable. Since the FSI's don't offer HDMI...nor do many pro broadcast monitors.

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:59:37 am

No you can't use a blue-only mode to calibrate a monitor.

I don't know why people think this is calibration. The ONLY thing blue-only mode is for is to align luma/chroma amplitude and phase in an analog NTSC system or equivalent. It is completely useless in the modern world, practically. And the output cards with blue-only mode are even more useless because if you're actually outputting component video, the blue-only check on colorbars has to happen AFTER it gets decoded BACK into RGB inside the TV, not at the output card. Utterly useless.

And no you can't just take a monitor out of the box and plug it in and call it good. You MUST calibrate it to D65, and hopefully it has a CMS so you can have accurate chromaticity. Most computer monitors are WAY too saturated for Rec709.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Shane Mario Ruggieri
on Jul 18, 2011 at 11:03:42 pm

Hi Chris,
I typically don't do this, but you should call Flanders Scientific and talk to Bram..why? Because you're making a suggestion that you can't deliver a "pre-calibrated" monitor which Flanders Scientific does. How, i don't know the technical details...but since you made the assumption, maybe you would like to really know....then you can correct me if i'm wrong and i'll thank you :)

Shane

---
Shane Mario Ruggieri
Editor • Colorist

Coloring your piece isn't an "option", it's the mark of dedication to the message.

Return to posts index

Chris Wiggles
on Jul 19, 2011 at 3:54:21 am

You can deliver a monitor that has been calibrated, but was it calibrated in your room at with the exact same level of ambient lighting?

And if it is, for instance, a plasma monitor in particular, has it been worn in?

Has it been shipped to you and moved around a lot, and perhaps calibrated in a very different climate?

For serious color work, calibration needs to be touched up periodically as a display drifts over time, and 'pre-calibration' may help a professional display be much MORE accurate and usable out of the box than a wildly horrific consumer display (which is usually designed to be way out of whack to suit the whims of 'more-colorrific!' consumer desires.). But you should always do final calibration at the display's final resting place. After it is in your exact viewing environment, at your exact altitude and climate, not just fresh out of the box (or touched up again after a hundred or so hours), and after it has been jarred and tossed about during shipping.

I don't doubt the desire to pre-calibrate a monitor, or have some kind of 'shop-calibration' before you take it home, but many people have tried to do this and all have failed. Displays are simply not stable enough over time (though they are now MUCH more stable, generally, than in the CRT days) to allow you to do this with a sufficient degree of precision. Home users who simply want an accurate consumer display for viewing movies won't be satisfied with this, nor does any self-respecting calibrator offer services like this. And it certainly won't be accurate enough for a display actually being used for critical color work.

There is no way any manufacturer can predict how the display is going to drift as it's worn in and as it's used, nor how it's going to change in your room, nor what your ambient lighting is like.

They would also be assuming that whatever you are feeding it is giving bit-perfect levels (and this is assuming even further that there is nothing analog anywhere in your system, which is still a pretty flimsy assumption to make in many systems).

I think it's great to shoot for as accurate *as possible* out of the box, and to have accuracy be a manufacturer's goal, but even if I made a display in my own garage and carried it to my next-door neighbor's, there still is no honest way I could guarantee accuracy without also walking next door with my meter and my eyeballs and making sure.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]