FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio without video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Sirota
audio without video
on Jan 30, 2011 at 8:24:13 pm

hello,
i am new to this site and signed up mainly because of this one issue i've been having.

I have a film that won't play without references files. When I export as a quicktime mov file, it generates two reference files along with the main movie. If I copy the film over to a different hard drive without those reference files,only the audio plays; the picture doesn't show up at all. I have tried exporting this film in various ways, with different coding and no matter what I do, I can't solve this problem. I know the problem isn't with quicktime and I know it has to have something to do with my clips. I showed this to a film professor and he couldn't figure it out either. I seem to only have this problem with the HD films; the low res films I've made export just fine and don't need reference files to work.
Help please!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: audio without video
on Jan 30, 2011 at 9:37:31 pm

Exactly what format is the sequence that you're exporting? Exactly how are you exporting? Which export function, and what settings? Please give us as much accurate information as you can.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 2, 2011 at 9:59:11 pm

The film was shot HD 1920 x 1080. All the files (with the exception of one that is HDV 1080i 60 and another that is a slightly smaller size 1440 x 1080) are Apple ProRes 422, 48. KHz, 29.97 fps.

When I go to file--> export--> quicktime movie, I get options to change settings (the codec), to include audio and video, markers, recompress all frames, and make movie self-contained. I've been choosing the Apple ProRes 422 option, audio and video, and make movie self-contained.

The second thing I've tried to do was file--> export --> quicktime conversion. I adjusted the settings here as well according to my files (Apple ProRes 422 and so forth). The last time I did this, it told me the file was too big halfway through exporting. Previously though, it would export along with two reference files that are probably referencing the video because the audio always works.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 30, 2011 at 10:45:37 pm

A reference file REFERENCES your existing media (plus a mixdown of the audio - that second file.)

If you want to move your footage, export it the same way, but uncheck the reference movie choice. It'll be a big file, but will work anywhere that the codecs exist.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 2, 2011 at 9:48:08 pm

hello,
i don't get an option to reference the movie...i have a bunch of other settings to choose from.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:30:45 pm

If you uncheck Make Self-contained you make a reference movie.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:50:50 pm

I have been checking that box...should I try to uncheck it?

thank you

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:16:54 pm

I don't know what you're trying to do, but it sounds as if your drive is not large enough or is not properly formatted. Only make a reference file if that's what you want to do. A reference file will only play back when all the media and render files for your sequence are available on your machine. You cannot move it from one computer to another. What are you trying to do? Where are you going when you export?

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:52:01 pm

I work and export to my hard drive. The drive is 500GB and it's not even halfway full so I know there is plenty of room on it. When I transfer the movie file to a different drive, only the audio plays (unless I also transfer those reference files). I would like the movie to play on any machine without those reference files. I would like to be able to move it and transfer it and burn it to a DVD as a singular file.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 3, 2011 at 2:23:03 am

I've added a screen shot.

This is what you're doing? This would create a self contained QuickTime

I'm unclear on what is not working - please be patient with me - I'm just trying to help.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:38:32 am

Hi Jeff,
The screen shot reflects exactly what i've been doing. Not sure what else I can try.

thanks for your help
anna

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:40:20 am

[Anna Sirota] "I have a film that won't play without references files."

That's because when you exported from final cut pro, you did this:
File menu> Export Quicktime Movie
And you unchecked "Make self contained movie"

This created a move that was a 'reference movie'. A reference movie REFERENCES your existing FCP media.

You want to do exactly what you did, except, choose MAKE MOVIE SELF CONTAINED.

Now, this will yield a file that's HUGE - but self contained - it no longer relies on final cut pro. You can put this movie anywhere, on any drive. Drives that are formatted FAT 32 (most external HD's that you buy are formatted this way out of the box) are limited to 4GB sized files. You have to reformat those drives as HFS+ if you need to put a larger movie there.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 3, 2011 at 12:59:40 am

Jeff,
the problem is that I am already doing what you suggested and it's still not working.

-anna

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:49:45 am

So, what does happen when you do this? Does it create a file? No file?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 3, 2011 at 5:25:28 am

It creates a file that looks like "titleoffile.mov" and then it creates 2-3 files that say "titleoffile-avi.mov" or something like that...I'm no longer by a mac so I can't tell you for sure right now.

-anna

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:38:06 pm

Anna,

If it's creating more than one file, you're creating a reference movie. You have to have the checkbox "Make self contained" selected.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 3, 2011 at 2:35:54 pm

Jeff,
I understand. I am already making a self contained file But STILL getting reference files.

Anna

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 3, 2011 at 4:19:50 pm

How is the drive formatted? Is it Mac OS Extended?

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:38:11 pm

Hello,
the drive format is MS-DOS (FAT32).

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:53:40 pm

DOS has a file size limit. That's why it's being broken into segments. The drive should be erased and reformatted as Mac OS Extended.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Anna Sirota
on Feb 3, 2011 at 6:55:20 pm

Okay great, I will try do this as soon as I transfer all my files to another hard drive.
Thank you so much!! I've been going crazy with this for months.

-Anna sirota

Return to posts index

Nick Wolff
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:09:45 am

Hi Tom, I'm having the exact same issue. I have exported my movie to several different drives all of which are formatted OS Extended and I get the same issue on all of them, i.e. I get one movie file (named LVATS.mov) and two others: LVATS-av1 and LVATS-av2.
I'm running Final Cut 7.0.3
I never had this issue in Final Cut 6 and have always output the movies in the same way (ie self contained)... it's really weird and really really frustrating!!!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Aug 3, 2011 at 3:52:09 am

"I have exported my movie"

How exactly did you export and what exactly was it that you're exporting?

All the best,

Tom

Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX"
and "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Nick Wolff
on Aug 3, 2011 at 4:15:32 am

Hi Tom,
My movie was exported in exactly the same way as Anna exported hers in the previous entry to this thread.

I am exporting a movie directly out of the timeline using an Apple 422(LT) compressor.
I select the edit in the time line - marking in and out points. Then go >File>Export>QuickTime Movie
I check the "make movie self-contained" box and retain the "current settings".

The movie exports fine, but as I explained before it creates two reference files that have to be kept with the main exported movie file in order for it to play on any other machine.

Thanks

Nick

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:41:27 pm

And how is your drive formatted? Is it Mac OS Extended?

All the best,

Tom

Coming in 2011 "Complete Training for FCPX"
and "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Nick Wolff
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:02:43 pm

Yes Tom, all my drives are formatted OS Extended & I have experimented by outputting to various different drives, both internal and external and all with the same result...
Additionally, it seems that the longer the segment is, the more reference files are produced. I have just exported a 20 min clip that has 4 reference files associated with it!!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Aug 3, 2011 at 6:55:15 pm

If you're exporting to QuickTime Movie using a standard format, you might check that your output preferences in system settings aren't set to a 2G file limit or a turned on in some way.

All the best,

Tom

Coming in 2011 "Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Nick Wolff
on Aug 9, 2011 at 1:54:27 am

Hi Tom, that did the trick!
Thanks very much.

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]