FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Degradation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Johnson
DVD Degradation
on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:58:47 pm

New project, all new problems. I came over to FCP because projects finished in adobe were stalling and really grainy. I'm happy with the results of my first blu ray in FCP.

These are family archive projects and I want to take the stuff from the stuttering Adobe DVD's and re-do them in FCP. Big surprise when I went to load. None of the discs will work. They did in 05 and each were tested by me. I have 5 DVD drives between my PC and my Mac and also tried on 2 stand alone DVD players. 6 discs...nobody home. The discs were perfectly preserved in jackets, climate controlled environment and were HP Lightscribe media. Expensive stuff 5 years ago. Best case scenario for their storage. Is there a way I can get this stuff off and into FCP??? Someone please say yes!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: DVD Degradation
on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:04:22 pm

Craig,
I had the same experience with some DVDs (Printed, not copied) that I made in 2005: Nothing to read.
Luckily I have the VIDEO-TS folder on a drive.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jan 27, 2011 at 11:26:49 pm

I envy you. I didn't save those files. I have had store bought movies for over a decade that play excellent still. Why did mine fail so fast??

I have traveled all over the states getting all photographic images, stills, video, even old film reels that pre-date world war 2 from all my relatives. The purpose is to repair, compile in a cohesive manner and distibute, and to document our history before anymore of the elders can't tell the story. I can't have this stuff go away after such a short time. My intent is to preserve this history. I even have a safety deposit box where some copies are kept. Am I in eminent danger of having the same catastrophe with my FCP movies?? If so, anyway to maximize longevity?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 28, 2011 at 1:33:38 am

Hi Craig,
I'm sorry to hear that you lost such invaluable stuff.
I new that, long term, this could happen with DVDs, but no that fast.
Duplicate HDs is the easier and more affordable solution for starage.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:52:57 am

My goal was to get 10 years out of the media. By then, there will be storage mediums we wouldn't dream of now. I figured I would just copy them over to the newer storage then.

My question: My finished projects will all have a Video TS file. I have 3 external drives. I can save those files for archiving but what is the process for creating a disc from that Video TS file that is of the same quality? I've never played with one.

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:28:49 pm

With the Video-TS file from the disc I just burned in FCP, can I make a replica DVD from that file alone? If so, how. I have toast 10 and put it in there but it wouldn't do anything but eject my blank.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 29, 2011 at 11:59:02 pm

[Craig Johnson] "I have toast 10 and put it in there but it wouldn't do anything but eject my blank."
On toast there is an specific option to toast a DVD from the Video_TS folder.
Did you tried that?
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jan 30, 2011 at 12:28:08 am

Hi Rafael,
Actually I saw 2 places in toast(Video_TS Folders and Video_TS Compilation) where it allows a Video_TS Folder to be dragged into. I tried both, pretty sure I had the settings right, it just kicked out the blank and gave me a message that it couldn't burn. I know this application works as I used it to burn my FCP project on blu-ray. It worked excellent and is super simple. Am I on the right track thinking this method will work?? As usual...your time and expertise are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2011 at 5:01:05 pm

[Craig Johnson] "Actually I saw 2 places in toast(Video_TS Folders and Video_TS Compilation) where it allows a Video_TS Folder to be dragged into."
Compilation is to put together more than one DVD Video_TS folders.
That's not your option.

Where that Video_TS comes from?
From a DVD, or from DVStudioPro?
How big is the Video_TS folder?
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jan 30, 2011 at 7:44:02 pm

I figured the compilation section out and am burning one in the
other Video-TS section using the Video-TS file I pulled off the project I just burned in DVD Studio Pro. I just kept messing with it until it seemed to work. Story of my life....

I hope this works. If it does, I'll use that file off all the projects I burned using Adobe and archive them for future disasters. Apparently the HP Lightscribe media I was using is junk.

When we talked of the DVD's that had degraded, I looked for a solution. I found a software and am using it as I type this that can supposedly rescue the files from the corrupt disc. I'll give you a link in the event it actually works.

The size ranges from a few gig on a DVD 5 to 7 gig on a DVD 9. The blu ray project I just finished in FCP/compressor/toast is 21 gig.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:48:37 am

[Craig Johnson] "I figured the compilation section out and am burning one in the
other Video-TS section using the Video-TS file I pulled off the project I just burned in DVD Studio Pro. I just kept messing with it until it seemed to work. Story of my life...."

Craig,
If the Video_TS folder comes from DVDSTP, inside there is a document with the extension ".layout" that works only for DVDSTP, but prevents Toast of burning the disk.
Just delete it. I always have the same.

There are applications that helps to recover stuff from scratched disks, but not sure if it would help on my case. The disks had became basically "transparent". It seems there is nothing to recover.
Anyway I would give a try.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:17:35 pm

Your explanation of the .layout file makes sense why toast kicked it. I did just that, removed .layout from Toast and continued to burn. Tried the disc last night and all seems just fine. I love it when things actually work!

Also, I downloaded 3 different disc recovery apps on the free trial version just to see if they could see my degraded disc. One actually said it did see it, but after 6 hours it only managed to recover 2000 bits of info out of the 108,000 that were supposedly on the disc. I'm not sure if this wasn't an error that was going to last for a week so I killed the process. My Dad has a copy of the same disc in Wisconsin. I'm going to see if his still works.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]