FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you edit full HD on a non-Intel Power Mac?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac Caudill
Can you edit full HD on a non-Intel Power Mac?
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:50:34 am

Is it possible to edit 1920x1080 footage on a dual 2.0 Power Mac (w/ 2 gigs of RAM)? I haven't made the leap to an Intel machine and wonder if full HD is out of the question for my system? (too slow, glitchy, dropped frames, etc.)

If it is possible, what type of codec is best to use (Pro Res?). Does it matter what camera is used (Red, Alexa, etc.)?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Can you edit full HD on a non-Intel Power Mac?
on Jan 27, 2011 at 3:06:44 am

What is FULL HD? That needs definition.

Can you work with RED, ALEXA...ProRes on a G5? No...that you cannot. And intel Mac is required for those formats. ANYTHING that needs encoding to ProRes needs an Intel.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:19:38 am

"Full HD Resolution" means 1,920 horizontal pixels and 1,080 vertical pixels, as opposed Extra-HD resolutions of 3K, 4K, 5K. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video for a rudimentary primer on hd video if you need more info.

And thanks for the clarification on the ProRes codec. I had a bad feeling about that...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:22:12 am

I just wanted to know what you thought of it. Many people buy handycams and say they want to work with FULL HD, and most offer anamorphic, but all say FULL HD. And think that their AVCHD camcorder is so "full HD" that it will be on par with RED or Alexa... and of course it won't.

But yeah, if you need to work with the current tech, you need the current tech...not 5 year old tech.

Shane

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:35:15 am

Shane, thanks for the info. A new computer is in the cards...eventually.

I'm testing the waters of HD and you brought up a great point. What is the difference btw all the different "1080" cameras on the market, from the cheap handicams to the HVX200 to the DSLRs to the Red? Is it just varying types of compression?

Also, if one were to edit Alexa footage with Apple ProRes, is it possible to "reassemble" the cut uncompressed at a later date or are you stuck with the ProRes compression? i.e. can I edit the cut at home (with an Intel machine) and possibly later have it cut together by a post house (uncompressed)?

Thanks for your patience!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:55:59 am

[Mac Caudill] " What is the difference btw all the different "1080" cameras on the market, from the cheap handicams to the HVX200 to the DSLRs to the Red? Is it just varying types of compression?"

Yes, and frame sizes. DVCPRO HD is 1280x1080...HDV, some XDCAM flavors, some AVCHD and AVCIntra flavors are 1440x1080. Some are full raster 1920x1080. Then you have the compression types. DVCPRO HD, AVCintra, HDV, AVCHD, XDCAM, XDCAM EX, RED R3D files, Phantom files, Viper has it's own compression types...H.264 of the DSLRs. LOTS of differences.

[Mac Caudill] "Also, if one were to edit Alexa footage with Apple ProRes, is it possible to "reassemble" the cut uncompressed at a later date or are you stuck with the ProRes compression?"

Well, if you use the Alexa to capture to ProRes, then it is ProRes. There is no UNCOMPRESSED to go back to. But my understanding is that Alexa also records to another format as well. But I don't know for sure...never had the pleasure. But ProRes is a finishing codec...compressed but full resolution. Unless you look at ProRes proxy, but it doesn't shoot to that.

Shane

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 27, 2011 at 2:43:06 pm

You can edit DVCPRO HD and HDV all day long on your setup.
Don't worry about it.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]