FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF - timecode

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anna leah jacobson
MXF - timecode
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:43:14 am

Hi -

I've been given P2 footage in an external hard drive, with MXF and audio files. First of all, I must be stupid because I don't see sequential timecode information - every clip begins at 00:00, instead of at the end of the previous clip.

Secondly, I need to export quicktimes with the SOURCE timecode burned in, for transcription. Time Code Generator and Reader only burn in the sequence's timecode, right?

How can I first identify the correct source timecode, and secondly burn it into my export?

Thanks a million.

-anna

Final Cut V 7.0

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF - timecode
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:26:22 am

Do you have the FULL card structure? The CONTENTS folder and LASTCLIP file, and all 6 subfolders in the CONTENTS folder? Are you accessing that footage via Log and Transfer?

It should have unique timecode...P2 does. There are other forms of MXF that might not...are you sure this is from P2?

[anna leah jacobson] "Time Code Generator and Reader only burn in the sequence's timecode, right? "

No...the Timecode Reader will read the SOURCE timecode...that's what you use. Generator always starts at a set number.

[anna leah jacobson] "How can I first identify the correct source timecode, and secondly burn it into my export?"

Bring it into Log and Transfer and look at the START times. Each clip should not start at 00:00:00:00. If so, there is something seriously wrong...or this isn't P2 footage.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

anna leah jacobson
on Jan 27, 2011 at 3:44:39 pm

Shane -

Yes, I do have the full card structure. The problem was, I was referencing the MXF files directly, not the P2 card's folder as a whole.

Thank you. I'm still having issues automatically generating the source timecode. Time Code Generator seems to always begin at 00:00. Is there an option I'm missing.

- anna

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:03:20 pm

HOw are you referencing the MXF files directly? I have two third party apps that allow me to do so, and they both read the proper code.

Shane

Return to posts index

anna leah jacobson
on Jan 27, 2011 at 10:17:25 pm

I was clicking on the .mxf file in the Log and Transfer window, instead of the entire folder.

All's well, the situation has downgraded from red alert to a pleasant green. I just wanted to share my results in case others found the same issue.

Click on the P2 card's folder, not the individual files!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:18:03 am

[anna leah jacobson] "Click on the P2 card's folder, not the individual files!"

EXACTLY! Glad you figured that out...

Shane

Return to posts index

anna leah jacobson
on Jan 27, 2011 at 3:48:37 pm

Hopefully, others will find this useful so I'll post.

Shane was right - Time Code READER will show source timecode. Time Code GENERATOR will create a new timecode for the sequence.

Thanks for saving my butt.

- anna

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]