FORUMS: list search recent posts

beginer FCP question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew thompson
beginer FCP question
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:18:11 pm

Hello,

Im a novice on FCP but have agreed to edit an acting reel for a friend. She has supplied me with 7 video files of various formats and some of them will not import into my system, Macbook Pro - 10.5.8 - FCP 3.5.1.

Of three files I can import two are ".mov" and one is an ".avi". The dimension of the two .mov differ, one is 960 x 540 and the other is 720 x 576. The avi does not have dimensions listed in the info window.

Of the four files I cannot import one is an "MPEG-4 Movie" 496 x 304, and three are "MPEG-4 Video File" 1024 x 576. The error generated when trying to import is "File Error: 1 file(s) recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown".

Any help with this is GREATLY appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: beginer FCP question
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:34:18 pm

First thing you need to do is to convert all the files to the same format, QuickTime, using the same codec. Some of the files are in compressed forms of HD, others are in SD, and others are in format not known to man. They all look as if they're PAL based so convert everything to 25fps.

Are you really working in Final Cut Pro 3.5.1? The OS and QuickTime versions may be too modern and this application, but try anyways.

I would suggest converting everything using MPEG Streamclip to DV50 PAL. This is a high quality video format. Set the frame size to 720x576. For the media that's widescreen click on Options next to the Compression popup and select 16:9.

You have to decide how you want to edit this media, whether you want the material to be 4:3 with the widescreen media letterboxed, or if you prefer to edit in 16:9 and have the 4:3 media pillarboxed. Probably it depends on what is the largest type of media you have.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

andrew thompson
on Jan 20, 2011 at 5:12:32 pm

Thank you for your time and thoughts, I will give it a shot.

Return to posts index

andrew thompson
on Jan 21, 2011 at 1:49:03 am

Thanks again, Tom. You were right. I've got all the video (less the AVI) converted to DV50 and ingested into FCP. However, none of the audio will play once cut into a sequence. Is there a setting you're aware of that can be adjusted to remedy this problem?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:04:47 am

Are you editing the audio into the timeline? Do the meters move? Is the audio on the media files when played in QuickTime?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

andrew thompson
on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:18:36 am

There is audio on the files when played in quicktime. Once imported into FCP, the audio will not play as intended ... just pops of tone every half second or so.

For the purposes of this particular edit, I do not need the audio. However, I would like to know what issue I'm dealing with for future reference.

I've discovered that this particular audio will play in the sequence once its rendered but I'm concerned it may become unrendered after some cuts are made. In any event Im curious if there is a more solid method of getting it to perform correctly.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:51:04 am

It's in the wrong format.

Please give the exact item properties of the clips you're editing and the exact item properties of the sequence in which you're editing.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

andrew thompson
on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:53:02 pm

You're very kind lending your expertise, thanks again.

Please let me know if you're not able to access the screengrabs of the ITEM PROPERTIES windows I've uploaded or if there is a better way to get you the info.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 21, 2011 at 3:09:24 pm

This is a major mess. The sequence is DV NTSC 4:3, your media is PAL anamorphic, different frame rates, frame resolutions, and aspect ratios. It looks like your media was captured in iMovie or some such. It's in a different format from that used in FCP. Your media is .dv rather than .mov. You also have some PAL DV50 and NTSC DV50, which is a different codec as well. You also have some other truly bizarre video that probably will not work in FCP with no codec and a frame rate of 6fps. That's not useable in its current form.

I would suggest taking all your media into Compressor and converting it into one format, probably DV50, either PAL or NTSC depending on where you are and what you need, and then edit in a format that matches that.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:43:30 pm

For real time playback all audio has to be 48k 16bit stereo (or mono)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

andrew thompson
on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:54:30 pm

I suspected there was a compatibility issue I wasn't aware of. Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]