FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice needed for converting footage in ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Jackson
Advice needed for converting footage in ProRes
on Jan 20, 2011 at 1:22:27 pm

I have some footage that I'm editing for a client that shot on a Canon 7D camera. They converted the footage to ProRes 4444, but I want to convert it to ProRes 422.

Their aspect ratio is 1920 X 1080. The frame rate is: 23.98. Should I keep these specs when I convert to ProRes 422? I saw some tutorials on the web where they convert to 1280 X 720 and 29.97 or 23.98. Of course, this was very confusing.

I know a few people use compressor to make their conversions. I want to use mpeg streamclip. I notice with Compressor it changes the file name and it doesnt do that with mpeg streamclip. In other words, I dont want to go back and change (take out the ProRes tag) the names for 200 clips. If someone has the proper Mpeg Streamclip settings to accomplish my goal, that would be great.

I have never converted anything to ProRes or converted any DSLR footage, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark D. Jackson

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Advice needed for converting footage in ProRes
on Jan 20, 2011 at 1:54:42 pm

Hi Mark,
Download MPGStreamclip and import your clips.
Select Export as QT Movie.
Change the codec to Prores and uncheck the Interlaced processing button.
Leave the rest as it is.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:39:34 am

Download MPGStreamclip and import your clips.
Select Export as QT Movie.
Change the codec to Prores and uncheck the Interlaced processing button.
Leave the rest as it is.

Rafael, can you confirm something for me? I need to convert my Canon 7D clips to ProRes LT. I presume MPEG Streamclip is a good tool. Following your instructions above, I notice that the QT "Quality" bar is defaulted to 50%. Shouldn't I change that to 100%, or do as you say and change the codec, but leave everything else alone?

Thank you!

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:17:39 pm

[Mark Fanjoy] " I notice that the QT "Quality" bar is defaulted to 50%. Shouldn't I change that to 100%, or do as you say and change the codec, but leave everything else alone?"
Hi Mark,
That Slide Bar has no functionality with codecs like Prores, DV-25/50, etc. They work with fixed data-rates (one per flavor).
There are other "scalable' codecs - like PhotoJPEG, Animation, etc - where the Quality bar works. You can set the quality by " % ".
So you can select your favorite Prores flavor and leave the bar wherever it is.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mark Fanjoy
on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:22:37 pm

Excellent. Thanks for following up for me!

Fanjoy

Wherever I am...I'm lost!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]