FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Sampe Rate Problems w/ Capturing VHS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
Audio Sampe Rate Problems w/ Capturing VHS
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:13:58 pm

I read a few other entries and have been educated on this to some degree, but wanted to try and get specific advice. I was handed 4 VHS tapes of home videos from my boss. He asked that I put them on DVD for him. I came to campus and am using a JVC deck that has mini DV on one side and VHS on the other (all in one unit). I can't find the model number. Anyway, so I put the VHS in and choose log and capture (using FCP 7). I get a warning saying the audio rate does not match the source tape.

Now from reading other posts it seems my choices are 48 or 32... is there a way to know which one the VHS was recorded with? How do I get this changed?
thanks
jared

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
Re: Audio Sampe Rate Problems w/ Capturing VHS
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:33:43 pm

Hi Jared,

48k is what FCP edits with, but chances are it will digitize the materail at 32k. After you capture you can convert the audio to 48k. When capture over FW, you usually can't change the sample rate, FCP automatic will detect it. So you'll want to convert it after you capture.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:47:32 pm

thanks for the help... it is in the midst of capturing now so i can't play with it but what is the process for converting it to 48? just click on the audio line and right click?

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:51:35 pm

A lot of the time I don't have many problems with having a 32k audio in FCP. But if you do, just export the audio to an AIFF 48k, then import the file back and sync it and link it to the video.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:56:00 pm

i don't know for sure that it is 32... i just know that i keep getting that warning... so you think if i just continue on capturing i will be fine despite that warning?

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:24:56 pm

Always, test with a smaller segment before you send hours capturing. Check the sync, but you should be fine.

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:59:56 pm

[Jared Smith] "it seems my choices are 48 or 32... is there a way to know which one the VHS was recorded with?"
VHS isn't 32, neither 48 Khz: Is Analog audio.
That audio will be captured as 32 or 48Khz depending of what you set in the "Capture Preset".
You should have set DV/48Khz.
If you need 48Khz on your final export you have two options:
- Recapture with that frequency
- Edit the stuff you have, and before exporting change the sequence audio to 48Khz.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]