FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP6 Choppy HD Playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil Nyutstumo Horn
FCP6 Choppy HD Playback
on Jan 5, 2011 at 1:34:05 pm

Hello, Im currently editing a HD-movie (1440x1080 ProRes 422, 48kHz) in FCP6. And my problem is choppy playback in general, and Im not experienced enough I guess, to figure out whats the problem. I have a macbook pro with:
- 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
- 4 GB DDR3 RAM
- 512 MB VRAM

I checked the activity monitor, and it showed FCP was using almost 100% of the processor, which is where I think the problem might be, but I think its a bit weird it is using so much.

I have some of the material on the internal mac harddrive, and the rest on a USB2 harddrive (I know this is a no-no, but I have no choice right now due to lack of space, and cant afford to get an expensive FW drive just for this one movie). But does anyone know if this actually might be the issue, and not the processor?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: FCP6 Choppy HD Playback
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:06:46 pm

[Emil Nyutstumo Horn] " have some of the material on the internal mac harddrive, and the rest on a USB2 harddriv"

There is your problem.

Never edit from your system drive and never edit from a USB drive as it cannot sustain the constant high data rates needed for video.

Time to get yourself a FireWire drive

[Emil Nyutstumo Horn] "cant afford to get an expensive FW drive"

Hard drives are CHEEP.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Emil Nyutstumo Horn
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:32:57 pm

Hi! Allright, so I couldnt help it but order a 500GB FW HD straight away... ;) Thanks for the help, I hope I can get back to choppy-free editing once I get the new drive!

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 6, 2011 at 2:56:12 am

The USB is the problem. Like you will hear over and over again.

You can also start buying enclosures with FW ports and just making your own drives for cheaper.
but internal drives 2.5 or 3.5 and then casing. Still cheaper then buying a new portable HD off the shelf at the store.
Newegg.com,Macsales.com, or Directron.com

Just don't edit on USB HD's

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]