FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Compatibility

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stu stubb
FCP Compatibility
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:02:30 pm

I am looking to buy a new iMAC. I currently have FCP 4.x projects which were started on a macpro desktop. Will these projects open on the new iMAC with Final Cut Studio or Final Cut Express?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
Re: FCP Compatibility
on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:04:59 pm

Yes, the will, once you save you cant open in the older version

Open a fcp4 file in fcp7 hit save its an fcp7 file now.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

Jenna Kijowski
on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:05:44 am

what about a Final Cut Pro 2 sequence? Will it open in Final Cut Pro Studio 2 (FCP 7)??

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:19:44 am

[Jenna Kijowski] "
what about a Final Cut Pro 2 sequence? Will it open in Final Cut Pro Studio 2 (FCP 7)??"

Yes.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Register now for our Open House March 5

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jenna Kijowski
on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:32:08 am

Thanks! Maybe you'll know the answer to these..haha!

So I wanted to dig up an old movie i edited in 2003 so i took out the old IMac. I found the Final Cut Pro 2 sequence on there but because all the footage (capture scratch, etc.) is saved to an external hard drive i need to reconnect the material to the sequence. i hooked up my WD My Book drive to my G5 to find the clips and sure enough i backed them up on this hard drive (37 gb worth) awhile ago but for some reason all the clips say they're Unix Executable Files?!?! Why did this happen when i backed them up instead of them staying as Quicktime files?

So here are my questions...
Tonight when i go home I want to be able to open up the FCP sequence on Final Cut Pro Studio 2 (fcp7)...will this be possible to open up an FCP 2 sequence that many versions later?

Also, please tell me why the quicktime clips did this? When i do File-->Get Info-->change open with Terminal to Quicktime they play but how will i get them to reconnect to FCP?? Do i need to go one by one and add .mov extension??

I'm very confused...i would rather not have to do the editing on the 2003 machine..i'd like to get it to work on my newest computer (27inch imac).

Can i attach a newer external that the clips are on to the old mac?

Thank you,
Jenna

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:05:53 pm

[stu stubb] "I currently have FCP 4.x projects which were started on a macpro desktop. Will these projects open on the new iMAC with Final Cut Studio or Final Cut Express?"

Well something is not right here. FCP 4.x will not run on any MacPro. All MacPros have intel processors and v4.5 is not intel compatible.

Do you mean old G5 tower or other old PowerPC based mac tower?

As for your question.

Yes and No.

You can open those projects from a older version of FCP in a newer version of FCP, but once saved you cannot take those files back to an older version.

No those files will not open up in FC Express. To do that you would need to export an edl file i believe.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:25:59 pm

Is this a question about the FCP files? or about installing older versions of FCP on your mac.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:02:13 pm

Yes Anthony.
The question is if he will be able to open these old FCP 4 on his new iMac that will have Snow Leopard and where he will install FC or FCE.
In FCE, I don't think you will have any chance of opening any FCP project file.
About FCP, whatever your version (not sure which older versions you will be able to install on SL; probably only FCP 7 and 6), IN THEORY is always backward compatible, so you should be able.
However has been some occasions where has been some problems with new versions.
FCP4 is very old and was wrote on the old PPC code.

But you will have the opportunity to check this by your self on your brand new iMac, and please send us your feedback.
Cheers,
rafael
PS: If you are unable to open these projects, the only way I can figure out s tryingProbably will be easier to try to rebuild these projects from scratches. to update the project step by step.
Open those projects first on (ie) FC5.0.x (PPC) or FC5.1.x Universal (Intel/PPC) then FCP 6 or 7.
I

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 5, 2011 at 3:26:38 pm

[stu stubb] " Will these projects open on the new iMAC with Final Cut Studio or Final Cut Express?"

Yes with Final Cut Pro, they will be converted to FCP 7 files.

No with Final Cut Express.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]