FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE: starting over: HD learning - need some advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson May
RE: starting over: HD learning - need some advice
on Dec 31, 2010 at 11:10:58 pm

I am starting to do a lot of editing in HD now and am having issues with FCP. I have been getting lucky over the past year with HD just working in the open timeline.

I just can't do that anymore. I want to plan out and know my formats, codecs and how they work and don't' work. One of the things that is bothering me to death is adding DVCPRO HD to a timeline only to get the "do you want FCP to change your setting dialogue box". When I record 720p or pn 30fps on my HVX200, I always set up FCP for 720p pr pn 30fps. But I always get the dialog box when I drop the first clip. I assume this is from DVCPRO HD being 720x960 and FCP wants 1280. Do you guys just go with it and let FCP fix it or am I missing something?

NEW YEAR's RESOLUTION! I want to relearn HD from the ground up and I want to have a good understanding of how to set up FCP to work with differnt HD sources. Anyway, I humble myself before any of you and want to know if you can send me links that are written for a newbie. I am watching Shane's tapesless work flow with FCP7 and will look for material from there.

I am tired of getting the FCP "would you like me to fix this dialogue box". It is killing my confidence and I want to walk away and stop learning. But I do want to have a good handle on the basics so I can go on to using more plug ins.

Again, I humble myself before you and please send me in the right direction. I want to do this right.

MBP 2.4GHz 4MB RAM, 30"cine, MAC PRO 2.6 8 core 6GB RAM, Mbox, Neumann TLM-103, FCP HD 7. Pro Tools 8, Adobe Creative Suite, Reason 3.0, Macromedia Studio, ProAnimator, HVX200 with Firestore v4.0

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: RE: starting over: HD learning - need some advice
on Jan 1, 2011 at 2:02:12 pm

[Nelson May] "I just can't do that anymore. I want to plan out and know my formats, codecs and how they work and don't' work. One of the things that is bothering me to death is adding DVCPRO HD to a timeline only to get the "do you want FCP to change your setting dialogue box". When I record 720p or pn 30fps on my HVX200, I always set up FCP for 720p pr pn 30fps. But I always get the dialog box when I drop the first clip. I assume this is from DVCPRO HD being 720x960 and FCP wants 1280. Do you guys just go with it and let FCP fix it or am I missing something? "
Hi Nelson,
Keeping on DVCProHD makes sense if you are delivering on that format.
if you are going to any other format/standard (BR, Web,..) keeping that size/pixels, makes no much sense.
1280x720 Square pixels is the HD standard.

[Nelson May] "I am tired of getting the FCP "would you like me to fix this dialogue box"."
but this is because your "Sequence Preset" is not the same than the footage you are editing.
If you set your Sequence Preset DVCProHD 720p, FC won't ask you again when you drop the footage on the time-line.

But Nelson, this is nothing about HD or SD.
is FC what you have to earn.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 3, 2011 at 10:21:09 am

[Rafael Amador] "is FC what you have to earn."
Sorry, I wanted to say that you need to learn the basics of FC before trying to go further in HD.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 1, 2011 at 3:11:52 pm

[Nelson May] "I assume this is from DVCPRO HD being 720x960 and FCP wants 1280"

No, FCP does not want 1280. It will edit DVCPro HD 720 natively in the frame size. The dialogue box most likely comes from your frame rate setting. FCP is wanting to switch the frame rate to a native editing frame rate.

HDV is also an anamorphic format as are most recorded HD formats.

[Nelson May] "I am tired of getting the FCP "would you like me to fix this dialogue box". It is killing my confidence and I want to walk away and stop learning. But I do want to have a good handle on the basics so I can go on to using more plug ins."

Why are you tired of it? It's there to help you. If you don't have your timeline set up absolutely correctly to get the most realtime performance, FCP is asking if you'd like it to fix that situation. WE use it all the time and depending on what we're doing, we'll let it change or decline.

There are dozens of HD cameras, formats, frame rate, frame size, codec combinations. Trying to learn them all at once will make your head spin. Even I don't know all of them. What I do is concentrate on what I need to know right now. That is, what cameras / workflows am I working with. I get to know and understand those.

When a new camera / codec is being presented to use for a project, then we research that (usually here on the Cow) and add that to our knowledge base. What I find is too many people try to learn too much at once about HD and formats. Just learn what you need to know about your workflow, once you master that and know it like the back of your hand, start adding more codecs into the mix.

One great guy to follow / search for in these forums and in the articles is Gary Adcock. He's a walking encyclopedia of HD, 2k and up. If you ever go out to NAB, be sure to check out the Post Production workshops they have out there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 3, 2011 at 6:18:21 pm

a few basic things:

under the user pref>option+Q or Final Cut Pro menu> User Prefs
under the general tab, place a check next to prompt for setting on new sequence and new project
pay attention to your sequence setting.
If you used to editing in DV, then you will create DV sequences and place HD content in them
thinking your editing HD.
***Key is that first clip edited into a timeline will ask you if you want to change the size to match the clip***

the other thing is try to convert all HD footage to ProRes for an easier edit, it will blow your media up in size, by another 50% but its worth it. The files are optimized for editing.
Add a frame size and or compressor column to organize your files by size and codec.

hope that helps.

*Production*Post-Production*
 Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]