1024x768 screencasts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Zeitler
1024x768 screencasts
on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:54:57 am

Hello there,

I hope someone here can help me.
I'm working as a screencaster and recently upgraded to a Final Cut Studio. So far my experiences are great, except when trying to edit iPad screencasts.
Usually when I record a screencast it's in 1024x768 that's the most common format for screencasts.
When importing ScreenFlow files, FCP tells me usually to update the sequence settings to fit in the new aspect ratio "and stuff".
But sometimes, FCP doesn't seem to be able to figure out the correct frame settings, e.g. when directly importing an iPad recording.
The preview has always "black edges" (how are those called again?), even when I manually change the sequence settings to match the clip settings. (1024x768, Square, etc.)

Regards,
Andreas

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: 1024x768 screencasts
on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:22:45 pm

Try capturing your screencasts at 1280x720 instead. It's a FCP friendly resolution and they will look great on the iPad.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Andreas Zeitler
on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:40:33 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks, but this is not a decision I have to make... it's the most common used format, no matter whether FCP likes it or not.
However, I found the solution. I converted the recorded material to 30fps material (was 20fps) and from there on FCP handled the files correctly.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Dec 23, 2010 at 4:26:54 pm

So your issue was with the framerate and not the resolution. There are ways to conform the odd framerates that most of the screen capture apps. output.

I'm not sure I agree with you in terms of 1024x768 being the most common format. I can see using that res. for slides and stuff like that. However if you are capturing Mac desktops and full screen apps - I wouldn't recommend it. But , hey ... that's your call.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 23, 2010 at 4:41:00 pm

[Andreas Zeitler] "But sometimes, FCP doesn't seem to be able to figure out the correct frame settings, e.g. when directly importing an iPad recording.
The preview has always "black edges" (how are those called again?), even when I manually change the sequence settings to match the clip settings. (1024x768, Square, etc.)"

So make sure your self that FC interprets properly the clips setting.
Before dragging any clip to the Time-line, check the clips on the Browser and make sure they show as 1024x768 SQ Pixels, etc.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]