FORUMS: list search recent posts

moving to basics - Getting Organized Final Cut Pro Documents folder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Dean
moving to basics - Getting Organized Final Cut Pro Documents folder
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:24:04 pm

I've been editing with both projects and media on a 2nd drive. I've added a larger RAID array, and would like to keep my Projects on the 2nd drive (where they've always been) but place Media on the RAID array.

This would mean that for any given project, I would have a project folder with scripts, still images, Live Type, Soundtrack Projects, etc. on my 2nd drive and a second folder for that project on my RAID array, to hold MEDIA only - (clips from my camera or what we might digitize from tape.)

To do that I plan to move the current Final Cut PRo Documents folder from the 2nd drive to the RAID array, and change my Scratch Disk in Systems Settings accordingly.

Does this seem like a logical approach... I realize when I open an old project (pre-ARRAY) I may have to help Final Cut "find" the media it needs - but can anyone think of any other potential problems?

Thanks - DD

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Dennis Dean
The Dean Group
-It's about results-
http://www.deangroup.com

Return to posts index

Mark Araujo
Re: moving to basics - Getting Organized Final Cut Pro Documents folder
on Dec 17, 2010 at 8:23:50 pm

Doesn't seem to far off. I personally keep any captured files, main project file, project related assets and everything in my RAID in one folder. I then open my scratch disks preferences and direct the scratch disks to that same folder in the RAID. The RAID is a bit more safe then say a single drive in terms of protecting my footage, and it's faster than a single drive. I'm in what sounds like a similar boat as you in the matter that we don't have high-speed local SAN (...still dreaming) so if the footage is super important I'll back just the footage up to a secondary space right after digitizing such as an external hard drive or a slow speed network SAN. I'm not sure what your archiving method is too, but all I do in this situation is take that all encompassing project folder and copy it over night to are archiving SAN. I know a few people who will also direct their auto save folder only to the main hard drive in case they need to rebuild that project from the backed up footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]