FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing footage with codecs....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan McKay
importing footage with codecs....
on Dec 16, 2010 at 3:12:20 am

Hello everyone,

I'm importing footage from my Canon 5d Mark II, but I have no idea how to use codecs or what they are. I read on a previous post that I should use Apple ProResLT or something like that....I saved all of my footage as "Archive Disk Images" to my external hard drive, so I can log and capture them again if needed to. My question is, what codec should I use, and if I already have footage on a sequence, how to I convert that to the codec I should be using?

I am working on my first feature film and I'm not the best editor.

Thanks for the help,

Nate McKay
McKay Bros. Productions

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
Re: importing footage with codecs....
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:39:39 am

Use Compressor. The footage from the Mark is probably using the h264 codec... not what you want.

What I would do is go through your footage, make note of the files you want to use. If the files are too long (sometimes it is unnecessary to convert an entire clip if you just need a portion) is open the original in quicktime pro, then trim the footage, save as (so you don't re-write over your original footage) I always leave the original file name plus add "trim" at the end. then open up compressor and add the clips you want to convert.

Then select the apple-pro res codec. IF I were you, I'd convert to the pro-res proxy (lowest file size) to make all of your edit. You could always go back and convert the original clip to the high quality pro-res codec and simply reconnect... Or use the "manager" but I've never done it that way so maybe someone else could chime in.

C.R.

Return to posts index

Benjamin Morin
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:30:46 pm

Hi Nate,

Like Christina pointed out h264 isn't the format you want to work with, you need to download the EOS canon pluggin for Final Cut Pro to use log&transfer if you already haven't. Depending on how much media you have to import I would suggest looking into some other software to import your footage for example " The Grinder " to speed up the process.

I import everything as Pro Res Proxy to keep the file sizes small and it's easier to work with, and when I get to online I simply media manage my sequence and re-capture everything as Pro Res 422.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 16, 2010 at 7:48:45 pm

I have a video tutorial for this: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]