FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to import footage stored on a hard disk into FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Esther Cimino
How to import footage stored on a hard disk into FCP7
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:06:03 am

Hello everyone,

I am trying to resolve the following problem. I have footage stored on an external hard disk. As it is not in the form of an image disk, FCP 7 won't allow me to access it through the log&transfer window. Can anyone help me how to proceed? Can I just import the footage? Or do I have to use the log&transfer? If yes, how?

Any help would be very much appreciated,
Thank you,
Esther

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: How to import footage stored on a hard disk into FCP7
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:24:07 am

ClipWrap might help, but we'd need way more information or we're guessing. What's the media? Where dud it come from? Something.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Esther Cimino
on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:57:51 pm

Thank you very much for the quick reply. The camera was a Panasonic HDC-TM300 and the files are .m2ts
Do you need to know anything else? So is the basic idea to convert them in quicktime movies, or do I have to create a disk images somehow?
Thank you again for your help,
Esther

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 15, 2010 at 2:54:36 pm

M2T is an mpeg2 transport stream, yes? See if you can open and convert it to MOV with the free Mpeg Streamclip program.

Return to posts index

Esther Cimino
on Dec 15, 2010 at 3:18:14 pm

Thank you, but it doesn't work mpeg streamline doesn't like it either. Thank you anyway!

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Dec 15, 2010 at 3:30:15 pm

What happens when you use MPEG Streamclip? If this was recorded on an SDHC card as standard definition, it most likely cannot be rebuilt without the metadata and the data structure that was on the card.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Esther Cimino
on Dec 15, 2010 at 4:12:32 pm

It tells me unrecognized file type. I just realized that Premier seems to read it no problem. Maybe I can export it through Premier in a format FCP would read. But once I have them in a format FCP can read, is it enough to import it or do I have to log&transfer as I have had a lot of problems with this if I don't have a disk image or the original card. I never quite understood this problem. Thank you so much, best, Esther

Return to posts index

Esther Cimino
on Dec 15, 2010 at 5:01:21 pm

Hello again, I still didn't get my head around it, so any more suggestions are highly appreciated. I managed to convert one of the files into a mov as a test. Now I have that mov file on my desktop, but I cannot chose it neither in the log&transfer window nor through the import option in FCP7 (it remains gray). I don't know what I am doing wrong here. Thank you for any help! Esther

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:37:25 pm

Will "super" or VLC open it?

Return to posts index

Esther Cimino
on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:06:56 am

yes, vlc does. any idea? thank you!

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:18:31 pm

You're getting close.

Once you have it in an .mov file, you will NOT need to log&transfer. You will just import the footage into FCP using 'import'. (before this, please make sure you're storing your footage in the correct media HD)

You did not mention which format you were able to convert the .mov file to? It would be best for you to convert the file into either ProRes or AIC. You might need to do a 'double' convert; first getting it into ANY .mov file, then use QuickTime to convert again to ProRes.

Good Luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Esther Cimino
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:25:28 pm

Thank you, I'm glad to hear I'm getting close.. just a quick question: what do you mean by make sure you're storing your footage in the correct media HD? thank you again, hope i'm there now.. Esther

Return to posts index

Todd Gillespie
on Dec 16, 2010 at 5:39:50 pm

You do not want to store your 'media' files on the system hard drive. So you'll need another hard drive available to put the media files onto.

Good Luck,
todd

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

Esther Cimino
on Dec 19, 2010 at 4:33:40 pm

Thank you, yes, that's clear. One final thing: can anyone recommend a really good m2ts converter for macs? any recommendations highly appreciated! Thanks again, Esther

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]