FORUMS: list search recent posts

opening a FCP video on non FCP computer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heather Salazar
opening a FCP video on non FCP computer
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:39:33 pm

We received files from someone who created a video with FCP that have the extensions .mov and .mov.AVD using a panasonic camera with P2. We cannot open the files in any of our programs. We have downloaded the latest Quicktime even Quicktime Pro, the P2 driver and other converting software. Please help.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: opening a FCP video on non FCP computer
on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:30:20 pm

What does it say when you try and open it? How Los are the clips meant to be? How big is the file you were given? May be they gave you a reference file which would be called .mov but wouldn't open....

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Heather Salazar
on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:47:38 pm

What does it say when you try and open it? on the .mov files it says that I need to download a plugin but not which one, the .mov.AMD files says that the program does not understand the file type.

How Los are the clips meant to be? I don't know, what this means, sorry.

How big is the file you were given? the .mov files are 1GB +/- and the .mov.AVD files are 4KB but 32KB on disk.

May be they gave you a reference file which would be called .mov but wouldn't open....

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:22:54 pm

A file ending .mov is a quicktime, but quicktimes can be made with many different codecs and that's almost certainly the problem (a gigabyte is pretty big, so it's probably not a reference). If you can find out from your supplier which codec they used you might be able to download it so that Quicktime Player can play it.

I'm not familiar with .AVD files (and 2 completely different things came up when I googled it, so I'd prefer not to speculate).

If you're on a PC you could try downloading VLC Player - no guarantees but it can often play back files that nothing else recognises.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:39:18 pm

Those AVD files are not movies at that size, so don't worry about them. The VLC idea is a good one, try that.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 9, 2010 at 7:49:06 pm

If the footage came from a P2 camera the video is either DVCProHD or AVC-Intra. Both are not a free codec, Panasonic gives them to a lot of NLE software apps and they are installed with the app. Do you know what camera they came from or better yet ask the FCP people what codec they were.

Then you will need to use software that is compatible with those codecs or purchase the codec and install it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]