FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed formats to be delivered in Vimeo

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Isabelle Illya Guillemin
Mixed formats to be delivered in Vimeo
on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:58:20 am

Hello,

I am new to FCP and my mind always tumbles on the format or codec questions. Unfortunately this question has been quickly developped during my training and I'm always puzzled with that.

I have edited a short film on Final Cut Pro which is a mix of clips from mid range cameras such as Canon G7 or Sony small camera delivering VGA files (640 x 480) at 30 ips.
On the Mac, these files are either .avi (canon) or .mpg (sony) files. With Videospec, I haven't been able to identify the codec used for either type of files.
Looking at the QuickTime inspector, these files seem to be at 30 ips.
Since I also have a Super8 clip transfered into digital and as this film was supposed to be viewed on tv (PAL - Europe) this file is at 25 ips (768 x 576). I transformed every clip to meet the 4:3 PAL (at 25 ips) format using Apple Pro Res 422 codec.
It worked fine for viewing on TV.

The filmmaker wants now to be able to show it on Vimeo. Looking at their specs, they say Apple Pro Res does not work well ans it's got to be at 30 ips. Since most of my clips are VGA at 30 ip, I thought that reediting these files directly in FCP would be the best idea since they are the closest to Vimeo's pre requisite. But I get a little puzzled with the sequence settings and the codec to be used in FC. What should I use ?

Also, I tried to directly import the clips in Final Cut. It works for some of them but the navigator displays them being set at 25 ips. How can this be possible ?

Thanks for helping me sorting this out. I'm getting confused with this aspect of Final Cut.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Mixed formats to be delivered in Vimeo
on Dec 7, 2010 at 4:43:12 pm

Hi Isabelle,
[Isabelle Illya Guillemin] " Since most of my clips are VGA at 30 ip, I thought that reediting these files directly in FCP would be the best idea since they are the closest to Vimeo's pre requisite"
Vimeo can play videos with whatever time-base.
Changing time-base is always destructive, so if you can keep with the original 30fps, the best.
Use MPGStreamclip to convert your .mpgs and .avis to QT.
The best codec option is Prores. Keep the original size, and time-base. Uncheck the "fields rendering".
When you have your Prores master ready, you need to convert it to H264 for Vimeo.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Isabelle Illya Guillemin
on Dec 7, 2010 at 6:05:53 pm

Hello Raphael,

Thank you for your response. I new that there was something I missed there.
To make sure I understand the procedure let me rephrase it.
I convert orignal clips (mpg and avi) to QT using Apple Pro Res at their original framerate (but I still need to put one avi down to 640x480 at 30 - the super8 that has been digitalised for DVPAL).
Will these settings be okay for the sequence ?
Image dimension 640 x 480 NTSC 4:3
Pixel proprotions : square (anamorphosed uncheck)
Video settings for Quicktime at Apprle Prores
Audio settings 44,1k

And when I finish editing I export using the vimeo preferences using codec H264. Is that correct ?

But how can you reproduce the exact editing made with 25fps in 30 fps ? I took note of every clip segment. For example : I made cut in a clip at 25fps at segment 22f-7s13f. Where do I find these points at 30fps ?

I realize now I should have done the work the other way around. There could be a way then by changing al the clips from 30 to 25fps and then procede with the editing again. What do you think ?

Isabelle Illya

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:37:33 pm

[Isabelle Illya Guillemin] "But how can you reproduce the exact editing made with 25fps in 30 fps ? I took note of every clip segment. For example : I made cut in a clip at 25fps at segment 22f-7s13f. Where do I find these points at 30fps ? "
You can use the PAL movie as visual reference to rebuild the 30fps sequence, but you can not really use the PAL sequence. When you convert stuff (30 to 25 or 25 to 30), you create a new TC. The reference to identify single frames is totally changed.

[Isabelle Illya Guillemin] "Will these settings be okay for the sequence ?
Image dimension 640 x 480 NTSC 4:3
Pixel proprotions : square (anamorphosed uncheck)
Video settings for Quicktime at Apprle Prores
Audio settings 44,1k"

That's OK.

[Isabelle Illya Guillemin] "I realize now I should have done the work the other way around. There could be a way then by changing al the clips from 30 to 25fps and then procede with the editing again. What do you think ?"
Planing in advance is the key.
You can try to convert the DV footage to the specs before and edit with rest of the footage. Don't convert to DV. Use Prores.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Isabelle Illya Guillemin
on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:08:44 pm

Thank you Raphael for your advice.
I'll try to make this work out…

Thank you again for helping me out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved