FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Photo Moves & Render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Coleman
Final Cut Pro Photo Moves & Render
on Dec 6, 2010 at 5:05:04 pm

Final Cut Pro and Black & White Still Photo issue & Render Issue
I get wavy lines in moves on B&W photos in Final Cut Pro. I am using FCP 6.0.6 in a DV timeline. The photos are mostly JPEG. I put them through Photoshop as JPEG, highest, size at 4x6 or smaller, 300 dpi, RGB, Square pixels.
IN FCP I add motion effects using the key frame. To either move in closer on the image or start close and zoom out to full image. The images with no motion look fine. However the ones with motion have wavy lines, moire. or herring bone effect. I don't see this on moves on color photos that have same JPEG format. This seems to be happening more in the last 2 weeks than previous to that. I can't think of anything that I have changed in this time??

A related issue is if I option R or select render in the menu the part of the image that has the move goes to black. I can see that the opacity line is up full. I pull the line up it says 100% and then I have to render again ( from preview - green line in timeline above image). IF I let the auto render do the rendering it does NOT go to black. But I still have the wavy line issue.

I have tried on a separate sequence, same DV settings using PNG and TIFF instead of JPEG of the same photos. Same issues of wavy lines occur. And same render issue. If I de-interlace and then render , the motion part of the image goes to black. Where there is no motion is viewable. If I export to QT conversion and select de-interlace the image does not go to black but the wavy lines are still there.

Any advice on how to solve the wavy line issue would be appreciated. Secondary is the render turning motion to black. Of course I am on a deadline.
Thanks.
Peace, Huey

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Final Cut Pro Photo Moves & Render
on Dec 6, 2010 at 8:08:11 pm

DV is horrible for preserving image quality.

Use ProRes or 8 Bit.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

James Coleman
on Dec 6, 2010 at 9:36:34 pm

Zane,
Thanks. But still same results. I have done this type of editing before when HD was a glimmer in someone's eye. But did not have this severe an issue and so inconsistent. Some images are OK and some don't work. I am checking all variables and haven't gotten far. Also when I rendered in 8 bit and Pro Res the image with the move on was OK for a couple of renders then I added another photo to the timeline and it went to black at end of render.

This film was started 4 years ago when filming multicam of 1.5 hour concerts were not really feasible on HD cams at least on my budget.

Thanks for getting back.

Peace, Huey

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Dec 7, 2010 at 11:20:44 am

What's the source for the stills? I remember having some black and white stills (quite a long time ago) which were scans of prints and had severe moiree and it was because the prints were half-tone, so therefore had a grid pattern on them (even though it was invisible to the naked eye). The only way to fix the moiree was to blur the pictures slightly.

Return to posts index

James Coleman
on Dec 7, 2010 at 4:26:30 pm

Andrew ,
The images in question are scanned photographic prints. My understanding is that half tone is preparing for printing in newspapers, pre-digital. I think these are regular prints.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am wondering if it is a render issue as the photos with moves done early in the edit don't have wavy line/moire issues.
See next post.

Peace, Huey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]