FORUMS: list search recent posts

What's Best? Fast Hard Disk Drive for OS? Or for data?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid Rosefelt
What's Best? Fast Hard Disk Drive for OS? Or for data?
on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:58:35 pm

I recently bought a new hard drive to use for data storage only. It's much faster than the one I am currently using for my OS. But I'm thinking if maybe I should do it the opposite way.

What will be faster? Using the faster drive for the place where the Final Cut Express program is located? Or using the faster drive for where the video data is?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: What's Best? Fast Hard Disk Drive for OS? Or for data?
on Nov 16, 2010 at 7:23:04 pm

Faster drive for the media. The OS and the application needs very limited data throughput once it's loaded.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Reid Rosefelt
on Nov 16, 2010 at 7:25:58 pm

Thanks so much, Tom!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Nov 17, 2010 at 6:07:41 am

And, if you really want to improve performance you should be thinking RAID, not single drives. The performance benefits are huge when multiple drives are striped together in a RAID - whatever benefit you\\\'re getting from a single faster drive is minimal by comparison.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Reid Rosefelt
on Nov 17, 2010 at 12:10:48 pm

Thanks. I did know that a RAID improves the speed, but I didn't know the boost was as much as you suggest. Someday, when I get the money, I'll get a matching drive and an enclosure (I like the ones I get from OWC). That'll work, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]