FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p workflow question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rebecca Salzer
24p workflow question
on Nov 13, 2010 at 3:32:30 am

I’m working on a short dance film shot on a Panasonic AG-HMC150. The majority of my footage is in 24p, but I have some early material in 30p. I’m new to this camera and also to shooting in 24p. Does the following planned workflow sound right? I’m editing with FCP 7.

1) Convert .mts footage to Apple ProRes 422 (LT). I’ll probably do this with Clipwrap. Is (LT) what I want? Also, will this codec be appropriate for both my 24p and 30p footage?
2) From what I’ve read, it seems like it makes most sense for me to set up my FCP sequence as: Apple ProRes 422(LT) 1920X1080 24p 48kHz. This film will be for festival distribution.
3) For the 30p footage, I am planning to sync it with its external audio and then export to Quicktime conversion using compression type HDV 1080p24 (????).

Are there mistakes in my logic, or better ways to do this? Starting out right would be a big help. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: 24p workflow question
on Nov 13, 2010 at 8:52:48 am

[Rebecca Salzer] "3) For the 30p footage, I am planning to sync it with its external audio and then export to Quicktime conversion using compression type HDV 1080p24 (????)."
Why would you introduce HDV, you are talking about ProRes all through the post, keep the codec the same. LT version is more compressed then reg ProRes, it is not wrong to use it, personally I would keep it ProRes unless you really need to save on the drive space.
If you have 24p and you want to edit with a 24p sequence I would conform the 30p to 24p in Compressor at the same time as when converting to ProRes (or LT). For the best quality you turn on the Frame Control and set it to best. In the video tab setting you change to frame rate to Custom 23.976. Do short test to make sure you like the results. There will be some mixed frames, no way around that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]