FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfer files from card to FCP come in as Quicktime.mov

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
graham bull
transfer files from card to FCP come in as Quicktime.mov
on Nov 10, 2010 at 4:48:38 pm

New to HDV with FCP 6 and MacG5 w/o intel. Transferred clips from card to wife's MacBookPro (FCP 6), then took the external hard drive to my computer and began work with clips. 2 problems. The clips would not run in the timeline without interruption and a prompt indicating dropped frames. What do I do there?
And the clips came into FCP in the form of QT.mov. These are already compressed right? Can I work with them and later compress with, say, Compressor? Or can control the transfer process so I get files in some other uncompressed form?
Have noticed the external hard drive I'm using is USB wired. Should I employ firewire instead?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: transfer files from card to FCP come in as Quicktime.mov
on Nov 10, 2010 at 5:29:20 pm

USB is not supported for use with video applications. You need a fast FireWire drive for this media.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

graham bull
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:30:42 pm

thank you. i'm equally concerned about card files coming into fcp as qt.mov. can i control the format of transfered files off avchd card?

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:46:47 pm

AVCHD transfer in FCP requires an Intel machine. You can pick a number of different ProRes codecs to transcode your AVCHD media to.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]