FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transcribing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Roque
Transcribing
on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:15:40 pm

Can I get some help on getting some basic info on transcribing? I've tried searching, but can't find anything and it is very important. What exactly is it? What's the normal process? And within Final Cut Pro? Any help would be fantastic, thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Transcribing
on Nov 7, 2010 at 12:16:16 am

Transcribing is the process of type out all the dialog in the video along with the TimeCode. There is special software that have players built in to more it more efficient. Of course there are places that will do this for you.

You do not HAVE to do it if you don't need to have it. If you are trying to do a paper edit of a documentary it is a must but people work without them all the time but there are useful.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 7, 2010 at 3:41:06 am

Transcribing is the process of making a transcript.

transcript |ˈtranˌskript|
noun
a written or printed version of material originally presented in another medium.
• Biochemistry a length of RNA or DNA that has been transcribed respectively from a DNA or RNA template.
• an official record of a student's work, showing courses taken and grades achieved.

Many people like to have interview transcripts for documentaries. These are generally text based people who want to cut and paste the text of interviews as a means of "picking clips".

In terms of film making I find this a way of discovering one third of what was said.

Newspaper article:
1. Words said.

Radio Program
1. words said
2. How it sounds

Film
1. words said
2. how it sounds
3. what their eyes are saying.

I'm still a bit baffled at films being made by transcript.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Brian Baker
on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:35:10 pm

An additional question for this thread -- how do you prefer to set up your transcribing / take notes within FCP?

Return to posts index

Vincent Roque
on Feb 23, 2011 at 7:59:49 pm

Well, as the threadstarter, I'll throw in what I did (for which you guys helped a lot!)

I ended up just simply transcribing via Notepad and typing out the entire interview. Granted it took 8 hours, but I got it done. I'm sure there are better ways to do it, but I opted to do the old fashioned way (I guess the old fashioned way? Still new to this...)

Return to posts index

Brian Baker
on Feb 24, 2011 at 6:47:08 pm

Thanks for jumping back in!

I guess that is the old-fashioned (digital) way. I had an internship with a post house where they would have an extra recording of their set audio on cassette(separate of the video,) and I would listen to it and transcribe into Word. The tape players came with this cool foot pedal rig that you could step on to start, stop, and rewind the tape.

For the project I'm doing now, I'm doing "quick-and-dirty" (non-exact) transcribing with Markers directly in FCP. Using the idea outlined in the FCP Lynda tutorial, I intend on taking these markers/notes and turning them into subclips.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]