FORUMS: list search recent posts

Minidv plays fine through tv but blocky when captured.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Coates
Minidv plays fine through tv but blocky when captured.
on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:10:21 pm

Hi all, thanks for reading.

I have a very annoying problem regarding a wide shot of a gig. The cam was quite far back but looks good when played through camera on the tv however when capturing it through firewire on my macbookpro using fcp or imovie it looks blocky, like pixelated especially when the red and blue lighting kicks in.

It's a PAL video and in fcp I'm capturing it as DV PAL 48Khz

I'm at a loss to be honest, almost at the point where i'll run it through my dvd recorder to capture it and risk severe loss of quality just to have something watchable.

Any advice?

Thanks all
Michael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Minidv plays fine through tv but blocky when captured.
on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:51:19 pm

[Michael Coates] "I have a very annoying problem regarding a wide shot of a gig. The cam was quite far back but looks good when played through camera on the tv however when capturing it through firewire on my macbookpro using fcp or imovie it looks blocky, like pixelated especially when the red and blue lighting kicks in."
That's DV my friend.
You can try applying a Chroma filter (Nattress or so) and render to any 422 codec (from DV50 up).
Works really well.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Coates
on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:13:39 pm

Doesn't sound promising, can't seem to find either filter you mention in fcp either. A real shame, this will definitely ruin the project :(

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:07:47 pm

You have to buy those filters.
rafael

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Nov 7, 2010 at 12:02:13 pm

Can you post a short clip with the problem described?

Return to posts index

Michael Coates
on Nov 9, 2010 at 10:03:59 am

Sorry, only just seen this new reply. I may well post some screen prints so you can see what I mean later but the problem has kind of sorted itself out, I found when I compressed and created a dvd, the pixelation didn't occur - I can't figure out why and I'll show you a youtube clip when I get home where it looks perfectly acceptable. Very strange.

Thanks for your response, much appreciated guys.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:55:08 pm

[Michael Coates] " I can't figure out why and I'll show you a youtube clip when I get home where it looks perfectly acceptable. Very strange. "
MPEG-2 (DVD like) is designed for a more pleasant look on screening. DV is designed to keep as much info as possible from the original scene.
Although MPEG-2 is 8b/420 (DV is 8b 420 0r 411), the color sampling (downsampling) is done different in different places than in DV.
DVDs made out of DV footage look better than the original DV stuff, and probably you will feel it more in NTSC that yo change 411 by 420 block scheme.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]